Requesting door card advice!!

kseries.rookie

Righteo, jumping the gun a little bit (as i'm not planning on attacking interior until I am happy with the body) but always good to learn/keep an eye out for cheap materials.

The previous owner decided to take off the old door cards, rip off the material then do a bit of 'Churr bro customs' and wrap in some grotty black material. I am wanting to re do the door cards and wondering the best way to go about it. In my head this sounds good but thought i'd run it past you fellas.

Getting some thing foam/sponge, about a cm thick, glueing some decent material to it, getting the mother inlaw to do some sweet sewing onto it (a couple of lines down the middle or something like that to give it a nice clean look) and sticking onto the door cards. wow, sounds better in my head!

Has anyone done something better/easier/less complicated? Or have a write up on how to do it? Just want it looking better then the rangi ass job it's already got!

I did also think - is it going to be better to get some standard cards and give them 20 coats of vynal paint.

Cheers lads

I did also think - is it going to be better to get some standard cards and give them 20 coats of vynal paint.

Cheers lads

i agree^.. i had purple plain ones i didn't really like:

22may001.jpg

out of some old rubbish i bought on tm for 20$ that were fawn coloured i made these:

newcards001.jpg

i used ados spray to glue and just one coat of vinyl spray paint

Would be something out there on the net

I have seen them made before and I gathered that the key is to keep your materials (wood, foam and vinyl) very clean and free of any grease and filth when doing it or the glue will not stick. Use good glue and most of all take your time - one door card a night should be plenty..

i did exactly how you described, but without the stiching (i used a bad choice of vinyl so ill do it again sometime with stitching) but it came out quite nice. i used 3mm foam and to be honest that was probably a little thick too, unless you can get denser 3mm foam, mine feels a little too soft.