mr2 20valve issues NOW MOSTLY FIXED

BlownCorona

just got out there today to seriously get into it. and found im getting no spark. im not 100% sure the rotor i have is for a 20v as i was told it could be a 3sge one. is there anyway to check what the rotor part number should be or if im getting 'spark' at the rotor.

compression seems great since it fired the rags i forgot were in the spark plug holes about 10m in the air when i spun it up. :lol:

no idea how to check fuel?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be fairly obvious if the rotor is contacting the cap, just check with a multimeter

So you got the starter sorted properly?

Its not necesarry to check fuel, its just one of those things I'd like to check after something has been sitting, as it could easily have a blocked filter or fucked reg. High pressure fuel gauge is how you do it. You can also use a LED or a decent meter to check if injectors are being fired by the ECU, but I wouldnt worry about that just yet

havnt got the starter sorted, got on it with a multi meter and it looks like theres no signal coming in from the key, its been missing some fueses so i just went into work to get some incase for some weird reason it runs through one of them,

while i was there tried to find a part number for the silvertop rotor, couldnt really find any parts for it at all, but had a look on toyodiy.com and the rotor is the same for the silvertop and the 3sge so i dont know :/

ill go check if its contacting with a multimeter and report back.

fuses made no difference to the cranking issue, although did fix many other things as expected.

but it looks like theres no contact between the rotor and the distributor cap. is this a sign that the cap is worn out? or something else is quite wrong?

anyone got a silvertop distributor cap? i was having trouble locating a part number at work :(

i was under the impression that it ran before hand before being parked up 2 years ago, but when i got it the cap was loose and it had no rotor, a few other parts are missing too. had my hopes too high of a 1 week job :(

just pulled the coil lead off and held it near an earth and had no spark jump. i assume this is what you meant to do?/another problem :(

edit: thanks fuloc

Yea there should be a 12v source on the coil with the Key on. Your issues stem further back stream than the rotor cap it seems bud, put your fault finding hat on. Who knows how dodgy the wiring is, but find the relay that triggers the coil +12v it may also be the one that powers the injectors/ignitor and idle control, you want to make sure they all have +12V also. Its hard to help without having a look in person

put an led in the injector plug and it didnt go, it looks like nothing is getting power at all, and im beginning to wonder if something is being shit with the alarm and immobiliser. it apears to turn on and off ok, though the alarm dosnt make any noise or go off.. is there any way to make sure its not immobilising the engine all the time?

No not really. I would be fucking it right off and wiring all the factory wires that have been spliced into back to how they were just because I hate alarms. But it may not be working due to some other obvious problem that is also causing it to not have any juice, Who knows!