new motor, cert requirements

hmmmnz

hi guys, new member,

i did do a wee search but couldnt find the answer i was after,

basically i want to do a engine swap on my velox,

im not sure this is still the case, but im sure back in the old days, if you put in a new motor that was with in 10% of the original then you didnt have to get it cert'd

is this still the case, or if you change any thing from the original it has to be cert"d

cheers

logan

ive got a 63 pb velox

it has the 162ci (2651cc) motor, some came out with a 201ci (3293cc) motor

i want to chuck in a old holden 186 (keeping it gm) from the same age

thinking they were similar power, but the holden motor

is easier to get bits for,

but if i have to get it cert'd any way, then i could go for anything, i didnt really want to go down the v8 route,

i also wouldnt say no to a diesel, but im sure that'd open a whole other kettle of fish,

You'd definitely have to cert the holden motor. you can often get away with engines from the same family especially if they bolt up to factory mounts as most WOF inspectors won't recognise a different motor if it has the same make stamped on it as the car, especially in older vehicles.

Its not the percentage increase in this case, it's the fact that it is an entirely different engine family and will require changes to mounts etc.

There's a lot of information regrading certification thresholds etc in this thread (which is a sticky at the top of the tech section), but it can be hard to find the specific piece of information you are after, being 53 pages and all.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1167

I think for what you are after from the conversion, keeping it simple is probably key, so while I would never recommend someone putting a 186 into anything, a carbed straight 6 would be the way to go.

Don't waste your time and money on a grotty Holden boat anchor. Put the 3.3 Vauxhall engine in and be done with it, 3.3 Velox was the fastest accelerating saloon in it's class, unlike the Holden of the same era..

Plenty of bits for the Vauxhall motors if you know where to look-

No cert, no worries

if i could find a 3.3 motor id chuck that in, in a heart beat,

but i have no idea wher i would source an old motor,

the motor thats in it is fine at the moment,

just seeing if it were possible to do it, with out doing the cert,

cheers for your help guys much appreciated