ae86 rear suspention o/d

Mitch.W

Al, the HSD stuff uses an inverted montotube damper as opposed to the D2/BC/other cheap chinese stuff which don't. So they're stronger, which isn't a bad thing when you see some of the photos of snapped and sheared shocks from the other brands. They also some with RCAs which saves you having to buy them seperately.

From the research I've done it looks like the order of preference for AE/KE coilovers are:

D2/BC

HSD

Greddy

Custom (and I guess T3 ones come in to this category too assuming you get them with decent shocks)

There are also these that have popped up on the tard recently. I'd be interested to know what people think of them.

Do you guys rate HSD over BC?

Price seems like $500 more.... which is gay

I looked at both when I bought mine beginning of last year. I dont think the BCs were an upside down design, or werent available at the time, which was part of the reason I went with the HSDs. Impressed with the quality of them, cant comment on what they are like to drive on yet tho haha. Also the HSDs come with their own rca, so its one less thing you have to buy?

On a 15inch rim, my xmember is 50mm off the ground, and I still have room to wind the fronts down 20mm. Even more if I took out one of the locking rings. As for the rear, I couldnt go lower as my top arms were binding on the diff and the body. Iv fixed that problem now, so once I get stuff sorted and back together, I'l let you know how low the back can go..

Mine is a 1980 dx as well, I cut the spring seats off as I going to run just a flat plate welded to the top of the diff with a locating ring in the center, and flip the spring and adjustable perch around so the perch is on the bottom. Have a look on the 1st page of my project thread, there is a photo of the spring with its perch etc..

The top is always the same as AE86, the bottom mount on the diff is different, you need to swap spring seat for the other KE70 model or AE85/6 mounts.

BC's are definately the Jam, never been a fan of HSD, they normally run really soft. BC make RCA's and theyre $120 from redline.