LD28 Turbo

Guest buddabeast

Guest buddabeast

Hello,

I have decided to put a turbo on my ld28 laurel c32.

But I need some advice. I see some ld28t posts around but can't find what I want.

I see that the L20et manifold will fit and will source one of these.

But I was wondering what turbo's you guys would recommend? How big? What model?

I would run smallish boost.. atleast for a while.

What other things are there to be aware of with this upgrade?

Has anyone carried this out?

Any help be much appreciated.

Cheers

i had a ld28 turbo in a transit..

had a l20et manifold and t3 turbo, old style turbo.

was told that a skyline turbo will fit on and go allright on it.

you dont want to run huge boost, mine was running 7psi, and went awesome...

if you have a look at my transit thread there maybe some pics of the engine etc in there

My mate has an LD28 turbo in a 280ZX running a T04 turbo at about 17psi, it's faster than a standard L28E powered one hah.

He was told not to use an L20ET manifold as they don't flow very well and the back cylinders get hot and end up rooting something? Not sure about that as I used one on my L31 and it worked alright.

yeah,thats why you dont run lots of boost..= more heat and munted motor...

a custom manifold would be ideal....

Na, thats why you don't run lots of back pressure. The heat generated from the boost will be insignificant compaired to the heat generated by running rich. Theoretically you could run it at 50 psi, without adding fuel and it would be no different to the stock motor.

I would aim for a biggish turbo with a custom manifold and pump upgrades. If you are really game compound turbos would be key.

okey dokey.... big boost your more likely to fuck it over pretty quick..

#6 piston are the ones that usually melt first.

just go on the nissan diesel forum and youll quickly find out that if its reliability you want dont run high boost without setting the fuel properly..

some guys even use a boost compensator on them...

but i dont really see the point of heaps of boost in a diesel,itll still be slow off the line...unless you put a blower on it

From memory my mates LD has a modified pump with something off an LD20 turbo pump? I don't know dick about diesels. He was telling me about building a new motor with LD20 turbo pistons and pre combustion chambers or something like that.

From memory my mates LD has a modified pump with something off an LD20 turbo pump? I don't know dick about diesels. He was telling me about building a new motor with LD20 turbo pistons and pre combustion chambers or something like that.

sounds quite trick....atleast its different..

ive heard of some vw pump being used on them aswell

okey dokey.... big boost your more likely to fuck it over pretty quick..

#6 piston are the ones that usually melt first.

just go on the nissan diesel forum and youll quickly find out that if its reliability you want dont run high boost without setting the fuel properly..

some guys even use a boost compensator on them...

but i dont really see the point of heaps of boost in a diesel,itll still be slow off the line...unless you put a blower on it

Yup, I agree with you that #6 will melt first, but it has nothing to do with big boost. If you look at the design of the inlet manifold, the #6 runner gets the least air, and so it runs rich and it's that what fucks them.

I've been on the Nissan Diesel forum for a while, and they are very very conservative, go to a Cummins or Ford diesel forum, and you will get a real appreciation for what diesels can do. The only reason you run a boost compensator is to stop it blowing coals when off boost. The way to kill a diesel is to give it too much fuel and not keep the EGTs under control, which you do by adding air ie boost.

I have to disagree with you on the slow of the line thing, and so does:

3qkxi7wOU5E

A 1.5 second 60' is hardly a slouch in a 2.5t truck. If you do have a turbo that is a bit laggy you can fiddle with injector pump timing to bring them on earlier anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for feedback guys. I couldn't reply as my account had been cancelled.

I'm thinking just an L20et manifold plus the turbo.

What standard turbo does L20ets use? Or RB20det use?

Where does that J-pipe come from DJZ?

What other adjustments would I need to make?

I would think timing and more fuel (maybe bigger pump).