felixx

Steamcleaning - worth the hassle?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Steamcleaning - worth the hassle?

• yes
    • no
    • unsure
    • I would be keen to share the hire of one for a day

OK so the underside and engine bay of the box could do with a good steam clean.

I would like to get the enginebay as clean as possible to see if there are any engine leaks etc.

Is steamcleaning worth while?

Do any of you own a steam cleaner?

Do any of you want to share the hire of one of these for a day?

Am I just being lazy? Should I get in there with a cloth, screwdriver, wooden spoon and cleaner/ degreser?

What does easy wash have?

I think they maybe have a steam cleaner? If not then it was a heated hot water blaster.

If it is, Ive used it on a few of my cars.

It swallowed about 3 two dollar coins.

It did a good job.

I kept car running so engine would dry off and knew it would keep running.

Just make sure you dont point it derectly at electrical componets/electrical plugs.

Thats what I did.

Used it on my SVXs, Vortex, Legacy and 1400 and had no problems.

Engine was all nice and clean afterwards.

Never had any problems afterwards.

I did soke the engine once and the engine died. I just waited for it to dry off and started it again

Don't even really need to steam clean it use water blaster and a can of cheap de greaser from supercheap.

Warm up motor to about half running temp and shut it off, lightly spray motor with water and a can of said degreaser.

Wait for like 15 mins, start motor and blast it heaps with a water blaster.

Sometimes I go round the plugs with an air gun but usually dont have to.

Dude, there is/was an establishment down by AMI stadium who steam cleans the underside/enclosed bits of trucks and stuff.

We went there before we pulled my car to bits because the engine had shat itself and EVERYTHING was coated in oil/internal bits and they charged me $20 cash for the top of the engine bay and $20 for the bottom.

This was a super pumped up industrial steam cleaner/water blaster combo.

Best thing we could have done as engine/bay was all sparkly like afterwards.

They had a big ramp that you drove up on and they stood in the pit between to do it.

Could not recommend more, especially for the price. If they still exist :shock:

There is a steam cleaner out the back of butler auto mart in stanmore road, that runs on $2 coins. (Or at least there used to be) And this weekend supercheap auto has cans of australian export degreaser 3 for $6. Spray a whole can of that shit on, let it sit. Drop in $2, and blast the fuck out of it. Repeat as required. I realise your car is English, ("If it doesn't leak oil, it wasn't made in England") But for a maximum investment of around $10-12 it should be as clean as it can get.

My dad used to have an uber Meke steam cleaner. Had it's own seperate diesel tank and all. That used to get shit real clean. BUt it used to leave the lawn covered in all manor of the scoaty crud that grows on engines/in engine bays of 40 year old cars. I do miss it though.

supercheap have 8l of degreaser for $20 this weak.

I got some to try as well as some spray stuff.

I have an old spray bottle lying about, Will put the $20 stuff in there and see how it goes.

Once I finish this yummy home made pizza