Crank angle sensors

EURON8

• 2 weeks later...
What ECU are you going to run? If I was going to modify something to fit I probably wouldn't bother with any of the toyota VR stuff especially with a Megasquirt much easier to go optical

why bother with EDIS? Bosch BIP373s are newer, cheaper and give a hotter spark. i found the Toyota VR cheap and easy to use with Megasquirt anyway.

Connecting a Megasquirt to one of these pickups requires two LM1815 which are like $8 each, and if that's too expensive; a small circuit with a couple of $3 op-amps will do the trick too. alternatively, there's the Zeal engineering daughterboard as a DIY kitset which costs USD$35.

Yea, I wouldnt use EDIS personally just trying to point out an easy, cheap example of a crank wheel setup as people had said it would be expensive, which is untrue.

In general beginers to MS/electronics can have trouble witth the early toyota dual VR setup and getting a decent signal. Scine he is going to have to fab something to fit i sugest it would be best not to fit this kind of setup, if his car had a factory dizzy with VR sensors he could use I'd say go for it.

i'd start with MS2 at a minimum, MS1 is pretty old now. he won't need to lose a prong, unless, the OP wants wasted spark and/or sequential injection?

the 18R-GEU dizzy can be used for fuel injection in bank-fire without modification, if spark distribution is done through the dizzy. the stock ignitor contains a VR signal conditioner and outputs a digital signal suitable for (simple) timing control in an ECU. only problem with this, is you have no reference for TDC to cylinder so wasted spark and sequential injection wouldn't be possible.

edit: helps when i read the shit i'm replying to, the 18R-GEU dizzy is not gonna help you go wasted spark or COP, sorry EURON8. but, the 4agze pickup does have the goods inside it you need.

His dizzy does have the VR sensor in it already.

Depending on how difficult it is to cut and install a new trigger wheel i would go down that route. Hopefully you can just get a new disc laser cut. A 36-1 (same as EDIS) as Spencer suggests would probably be best as that's what megasquirt seems to base most of their shit from and it gives you far more updates per revolution that the 4 prong so it's more accurate. Mounting a trigger ring on the front pulley and making bracketry for the sensor would be more of a mission.

Then it's just a matter of procuring some ignitors and coils from pick a part and you're good to go.

I still have that MS1 if you're keen. I bought a box for it the other day so it's now 100% complete and ready for a new home. If you don't want it I'll put it on the tard.