Temperature gauge plays funny,kind of fixed, still help plz!

LingLing

not sure if i would reccomend driving it around with any sort of detergent in it the waterpump will cavitate to hell and you will lose all coolant flow .

im not sure there is a problem? again you need a real big hill to get the motor proper working. if it dont overheat proper then i wouldnt worry.

just my 2c.

i hate trying diagnosing stz over the net

yeh, I should know, been an engineer myself, I think Caustic solution makes the heat capacity changes by a lot.

Well, I'm expecting it is at 50% dead or slightly lower. Just never had a car over heats slightly.

on high way it hits 1/2 mark dead.

I think as long as I'm driving the car, the temp should be sweet, I know this because I DROVE it up from CHCH to AKL.

Hmm, maybe I should take it for another deep hill test.

1/2 way is absolutely fine - if it often runs around 3/4's for more than a couple minutes I would start getting worried - but half way would be fine..

You could always take a temp reading of the water in the radiator with a thermometer..

Cheers guys, I'm very glad I'm in this community. You guys help a lot.

Don't get that much of response/comments from bimmer forum.

I have few some issues, i want to ask, should I start a new topic?

Ok ,there's many small faults with this car, mainly electrics. i.e, the dashboard lights, don't turn on often, only seen it on once/twice.

What do i do with that?

there is more, brakes suspensions etc. will find the real problem first then ask.

do not forget occums razor

the bosch water temperature sensor is a negative temperature coefficient type

the sensor can be checked with an ohm-meter and thermometer over a pot of water on the stove.

Celsius         Ohms
-18             12000
18              2315
94              250

you could check the gauge using the same resistance values in place of the sensor. old BMW electrics are lots of fun.