Drag Racing is going through a shake-up... pardon the pun!

EFI_LC

Hi Guys

This is to let everyone know whats going on with the Drags at Ruapuna and that Fram, the premier track in NZ has pulled the plug on NZDRA(NZ Drag Racing Association) the sanctioning body and gone with the American IHRA(International Hot Rod Association) which will mean a reduction in prices to racers in the North, its in discussions with other tracks at present for the future.

If the other tracks follow it will mean the Southerners will get a national event run by the same organisation that currently runs the 4' n rotos, and all classes will remain, all NZDRA licences will be recognised until they expire. The winners of some classes in the national series will be eligible to compete in the states to become the International champion. It won't affect the 4's n roto's and that will run just the same.

Nothing is confirmed for the rest of NZ and here is the statement from FRAM:

Fram_PR_-_IHRA1.jpg

Does that mean changes to who runs all the events? Assuming they ditch NZDRA.

Because any change to who runs the show out there can only be of benefit to all, their organisation and communcation skills has lost hundreds of potential racers over the years.

Does that mean changes to who runs all the events? Assuming they ditch NZDRA.

Because any change to who runs the show out there can only be of benefit to all, their organisation and communcation skills has lost hundreds of potential racers over the years.

I hear your frustration there mate.

It has changed already but I would imagine nothing is concrete until a meeting and election of the commitee, as soon as I know anymore I will update.

There is a NZDRA drivers meeting:

1st June, 7pm, Papanui Club, 310 Sawyer Arms Rd, Harewood, Christchurch

This has been a long time coming.

I attended a few pbdrc meeting over a season or so. (And narrowly escaped becoming a committee member myself)

I have to say the stories I heard about how the NZDRA were treating the tracks, were dissapointing.

I did read part of the thread at the NZV8 forums about this impending change. Seemed like the people who liked the NZDRA were completely oblivious to how everyone else felt they were being treated.

The thing that ground my gears was that at the last NZDRA national event held at ruapuna, the entry fees were jacked up so much I literally couldn't afford to race. (It was $100!)

This year, since the NZDRA gave that meeting to the NBDRC, pegasus bay held their own "BIG" meet. The fees were no different to any other meeting, the track was prepped beautifully by Trev, and I equaled my PB. The whole thing meeting was fantastic. I know for sure that at least one other regular racer couldn't race at that national meeting due to the cost too. That kind of thing is counterproductive to the sport.

Are you going to the meeting Graham?

I want to but I have some personal stuff going on that may stop me, i will have to decide closer to the time but I will try 100% to make it.

I have always tried to take the middle of the road approach and to hear both sides of stories before making judgement. I would like to hear what the NZDRA Drivers have to say as its a rebellion against the NZDRA who at the end of the day just use the individual tracks to run their sanctioned events and take a percentage.

There has been a lot of personality clashes between tracks and some NZDRA officials. I heard some stories from various parties but tried to weigh it up. At times I have seen some totally childish things happen and others I am left gob-smacked but I feel the move to IHRA appears at this stage to be a good move and to have Azhar onboard to run a National Series using his current spomsors to me is the clincher.

There is alot more to come out of this over the next month or two.

Who knows?

From what I heard, there were a few tracks that had expressed dissatifaction with some of their dealings with the NZDRA.

All I want is the sport to be affordable. And for the sanctioning body (Whoever that is) to treat the clubs who run the events for us (The racers) in a fair and decent manor.

I can see the NZDRA's predicament with their national series. The comp cars get people through the gate, but the street cars keep the sport going. Grassroots is where it's at for me. I can't speak for other tracks, but street cars make up most of the racers.

Perhaps with a new sanctioning body, and some new ideas more people may be encouraged to take up the sport. CHCH is full of bogans. Every man and his dog has a car, or is building one. Yet some street meets have seen a lacklusture turnout.

A change is as good as a holiday.

A change is good and TBH an international sanctioned body has got to be better than a bunch of volunteers -

FFS back a decade(ish) ago it took me 6 months and about 48292433 phone calls to the "secretary" of NZHRA to get a fender exemption - lost an entire summer of driving cos of that bitch and her excuse was "I'm a volunteer and very busy with my kids".. (TBH I just drove it illegally with no WOF anyhow but thats not the point)

Important!

Pegasus Bay Drag Racing Club Inc

The committee for Pegasus Bay Drag Racing Club Inc has been considering affiliation options of NZDRA and IHRA for the coming seasons.

We consider there are compelling reasons to join Fram and Taupo and affiliate through IHRA and it is our unanimous recommendation that the Club do so. We will be holding a club meeting in the near future to discuss our reasons and to have the decision ratified by our members. If a majority of the Club members agree with us, we will formally advise the NZDRA of our intentions to change.

We make this public statement as we are aware that NZDRA, Fram and Taupo are making their plans for the coming season, and we do not wish for there to be any misunderstandings between us.

Todd Stevenson

Acting President

Pegasus Bay Drag Racing Club Inc

Graham and I attended the meeting last night.

The NZDRA fellows had their say.

MUCH of what they said was scaremongering. They did however raise some valid points that do warrant further consideration.

It was asked of those in atttendance, "who here will still continue to support the NZDRA?" I think it's a premature question untill people have more information. (I certainly wasn't the only one there who felt that)