rx4 and s1 rx7 engine swap

griff666

i have a s2 rx4 sedan with a 12a extend port and 5 speed, and have just bought a s1 rx7 with 13b bridgeport 5 speed also, was looking at swapping the running gear over,was wondering if i will have to swap gearboxes and anything else

if you slot both the front engine brace and the engine member 5 mm each so you can move engine forwards 10mm and then slot in similar way the box mount you may be ok. The propshaft sometimes only goes in 1/2 to 3/4 into the box on the splines depending on box and car. Make sure to keep it out just enough to allow for it to slide in when axle moves right up. Check by removing springs and lifting axle up to be sure.

You can shorten later series 2/3 box shifter housings and move lever forwards 100mm to suit older rx's or other cars.

youll have to change the extractors if you have them fitted as the spacing is different at the flanges..s1 rx7 can fit if they arent custom ones

you may be able to run the rx4 box on the 13b to save having to adjust the shifter hole...i think the shifter was forwad slightly compared to the s1...although your rx4 may already have a s1 type box in it being a 5 speed and all...

but as yoeddynz said just slot your mount holes a bit...and your exhaust to suit..