Another exciting question about 202's. Yuck

Seedy Al

Hey guys once again.

So I have a mild issue thing going on,

Pulled motor from my green crown. has 3.3 stamped on the side.

So I get a 3.3

Then compare motors again, and original 3.3 I pulled out has like early 202 manifolds etc.

So decided to swap heads over, as assumed thats what had been done before.

But....... the heads are different where the water jackets go. So am I going to be sweet, to lay down head gasket on block, mark out where jacket ports are, and drill them?? then use gasket to block off the ports in the old places??

Am I being so silly>

Edited my response because I found the answer in your original post.

As far as I'm aware, all 202 red motor heads have the water galleries in the same orientation.

however, Blue and Black 202 or 3.3 motors have different water galleries and require the ue of a black/blue motor head gasket with modifications made to allow for the different water galleries (read, holes drilled).

Are both heads nine port (six exhaust and three inlet) like the lower head in the picture?

9porthead-12porthead.jpg

Na, head off the motor I am putting in is a 12 port, hence why im changing it so i can use the older stlye manifolds.

Man I'm confused though. Not sure where this motor with a 9 port head and 3.3 stamped on the side came from that i ahve pulled out of my crown. Seems like an odd mix.

So yes I want to drill the 3.3 12 port block to suit the 9 port head I have.

So yes I want to drill the 3.3 12 port block to suit the 9 port head I have.

:shock:

I don't think I've ever heard of that being done before. In saying that, it's probably been done loads of times and should be very similar to fitting the 12 port head to the 9 port block. Get a 9 port head gasket and have it drilled to suit and you should be fine.

probabaly, but then need to make whole new exhasut as well as Mine is setup for old one...

For the sake of drilling 6 holes it should be ok.

Will consider it a lesson and if it fails then I have learnt something about a motor I hope I never have to touch again heh

Had a look and all my info talks about going from a 9 port to a 12 port not the other way round... You may have to rethink the plan budd..

However - I suppose you could do the opposite and plug the 12 port holes and drill the 9 port water gallery holes instead

You would need to fill these holes (the ones that say drill)

red%20holden%20block%20to%20black%20blue%20head.jpg

and then drill the 2 new holes (the ones that are in red)

Holden_RedBlock_Water_pasage_holes_for_12_port_head.jpg