WTD: Rollcage builder in Hamilton?

mjrstar

Are you cashed up or would you be keen on saving a little bit of money? Also, how much of a hurry are you in and do you have room for a car to be worked on in your shed?

Just asking because I'm doing a cage at the moment in a track car I'm building. I have a certified welder lined up, who has done cages before and who I trust (he makes transmission line towers, man cages from steel tube that hang from cranes, etc). I got a kit set cage from Racecraft Engineering for around $500 which is basic 6 point with base plates, you just cut and notch to fit, then weld. Additional bars like side intrusion, some diags will be purchased in additional to this, but this way you know all bends and overall profile of the cage is well done and it should pass homologation without any real issues.

I've also looked into the homologation side of it with the paper work, drawings and photo's, it's all very simple and straight forward. I'd be keen to sit down and run through it all with you if you are worried about it - I was at first but having looked at it now I believe cage building is a little bit of a monopoly and a lot of scaremongering is done by the fabricators to ensure they retain this business. Perhaps years ago it was difficult to get a car through homologation but I don't think it is now.

Anyway, let me know man, perhaps pm if you're keen, otherwise some of the guys who have had cages build locally will probably chime in shortly.

semi unkeen to have too much fxxk around factor, if I can get something reasonable for around 2k roll in roll out i'll be happy enough.. this fully welded deal could make life a bit difficult to run the bars close to the bodywork i suspect.

There's ways and means, generally holes are drilled through the floor to drop the main hoop and laterals enough to do a tidy weld 360 degrees, then the cage is lifted up into its permanent position and the floor plates are welded in to cover the holes. Plates are a requirement anyway, so theres no real downside to doing things this way, providing the shell allows you to do so.

But yeah sweet, drive in, drive out with all paperwork is definitely a nice easy option and if you can score something decent for $2k, it might be worth while.

next question.. how does the paperwork side of things happen.. ie: do i need a MSNZ License to make it all happen?

is this the correct sequence?

Car Club Membership => Clubsport MSNZ License => Cage Homologation + Logbook.

Car Club Membership => Clubsport MSNZ License => Cage Homologation + Logbook.

Thats the order I'm doing it in. When you get your MSNZ license you get the motorsport manual with all the rules in it, which you need to build the cage to, along with many other modifications for racing. To get this, you need a valid club membership with an affiliated club. Then you can either get a log book and send it away with your homologation papers, or send away both the homologation papers and the log book application form at the same time, which is what I intend on doing.

Auckland Uni Car Club is $10 a year and is a MSNZ clubby - i paid for 3 years... so cheap.

You can still go enter all the other clubs events, just sometimes it's a little more expensive for non-club members...

Fiat Car Club runs a nice winter tarmac series that you don't need a cage for just a clubman license.

Fiat club seems like the go.. Although do you need to know someone who knows someone (ie do you have to be nominated by a current member?)

Nah you should be alright to enter without being nominated. I did. But if you do need to I'm a member (non-active at the moment :() and I think Tom (Testament) is also a member there too.

• 5 weeks later...