engine rebuilds

shizzl

how tech is it to rebuild an engine? ie, rings,big ends and mains bearings?

is it a case of just ripping it all apart and slapping the new shit in it?

or do you have measure stuff...

i want to get my hemi rebuilt asap, but cant afford to pay some "mechanic" to do it for me.

especially when it could fuk out on the first lap...

i know alot of you guys have rebuilt your own motors, and am super jealous of your epic skills.

would love to be able to do my own shite also..

ive done the head gasket on the hemi, but now know i needed a composite gasket instead of the shitty steel one i got..

if you guys have any tips or advice please let me know..

alos if theres any special tools ill need..

obviously ring compressor and digital verniers right?

it did have smoke from the exhaust, not thick though, didnt notce a heap of oil use,

it had fuel present in the oil, i think its from the mech pump fucking out...

would that thin the oil out enough to pass by the rings/guides etc???

yep. it'd also explain smoke coming from the breather that's more than normal as it begins to evaporate

run it up to a good heat, then drop the oil and see what happens from there.

oil's cheap. engine rebuiling isn't.

you wouldn't want to rebuild one this close to/during the season would you? or do you have a spare motor to mess with?

BEWARE of skimming your 265 head too far. IF you remove too much, it'll fuck up your valve geomerty with the hydraulic lifters. No offence, but you sound a little bit out of your depth judging by you questions/comments regarding the matter.

There is the right way to (re)build and engine and 10,000+ wrong ways. the internal combustion engine is a marvelous invention, but it uses very fine tolerances. (measured in thousanths of an inch) There are many variables, and it only take the tolerances to be out just a wee bit in one area, and the whole thing can fall to shit.

I'm not trying to sound preachy, I'd just hate to see you spend coin on your donk and wind up worse off than you are now.

Each engine has it's own individual tricks and pitfalls. For good advise on hemis, check out the mopar market.com forums, or hemi6pack.com forums. The guys there have lots of know about them.

As Graham said, the bearings are more important than the rings. Used hemi's are bad for camshaft endfloat which cam fuck up the mesh between the oil pump gear and the camshaft. Lose your oil pressure at revs, and your engine is TOAST. I've also found that the crank pins are prone to ovality after years of hard work. (I'm picking your engine hasn't had an easy life yeah?) To check this you really need a pair of micrometers. vernier calipers (Even digital ones) just aren't accurate enough.

You can measure your bearing tolerances with plastiguage, but that wont show up any ovality in the journals. Plus that would require buying new bearings 1st, which may them be useless if your crank needs to be reground. (A regrind will set you back at least $300) Plus I'd borrow money and bet your timing chain and gears will be cream crackerd too. (I've never pulled down a hemi where they weren't)

As for using the 265 head, what carburation are you running? I say this because with the bigger valves of the 265 head, you might loose a wee bit of velocity in the intake. and unless you're running a big cam and upgraded carburation, (along with the larger combustion chambers) you might actually lose power.

You keep blowing head gaskets, have you had the head you're running now skimmed? (dumb question, but if it's a bit warped no headgasket will keep things sealed)

BEWARE of skimming your 265 head too far. IF you remove too much, it'll fuck up your valve geomerty with the hydraulic lifters. No offence, but you sound a little bit out of your depth judging by you questions/comments regarding the matter.

There is the right way to (re)build and engine and 10,000+ wrong ways. the internal combustion engine is a marvelous invention, but it uses very fine tolerances. (measured in thousanths of an inch) There are many variables, and it only take the tolerances to be out just a wee bit in one area, and the whole thing can fall to shit.

I'm not trying to sound preachy, I'd just hate to see you spend coin on your donk and wind up worse off than you are now.

Each engine has it's own individual tricks and pitfalls. For good advise on hemis, check out the mopar market.com forums, or hemi6pack.com forums. The guys there have lots of know about them.

As Graham said, the bearings are more important than the rings. Used hemi's are bad for camshaft endfloat which cam fuck up the mesh between the oil pump gear and the camshaft. Lose your oil pressure at revs, and your engine is TOAST. I've also found that the crank pins are prone to ovality after years of hard work. (I'm picking your engine hasn't had an easy life yeah?) To check this you really need a pair of micrometers. vernier calipers (Even digital ones) just aren't accurate enough.

You can measure your bearing tolerances with plastiguage, but that wont show up any ovality in the journals. Plus that would require buying new bearings 1st, which may them be useless if your crank needs to be reground. (A regrind will set you back at least $300) Plus I'd borrow money and bet your timing chain and gears will be cream crackerd too. (I've never pulled down a hemi where they weren't)

As for using the 265 head, what carburation are you running? I say this because with the bigger valves of the 265 head, you might loose a wee bit of velocity in the intake. and unless you're running a big cam and upgraded carburation, (along with the larger combustion chambers) you might actually lose power.

You keep blowing head gaskets, have you had the head you're running now skimmed? (dumb question, but if it's a bit warped no headgasket will keep things sealed)

best post yet...

i know im out of my depth..

ive posted copious amounts of threads on both the mopar and hemi sites and nothing decent in return.

the cam end float has been dealt with on this engine by modding the timing cover.

the current head and block have been skimmed,and its never been hot..

ive ordered a composite gasket,so if that doesnt solve it the whole thing is going in the bin..

go back to the trusty ford 6

if you're going to bin it, you can give it to me lol.

unfortunately, unless you have at least a bit of the right gear, and some experience with engine assembly, no-one can really "tell" you how to rebuild your engine. A real good workshop manual is a good start. freshening up a motor can cost from $300-$300000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.