Thermostat jammed in

unhuman

I'm looking for advice to remove a thermostat thats stuck/jammed in. I've got the housing off but I can't get the thermo out. And (thank you Nissan) it's in a very inaccessible spot so prying it out is difficult. Any tips? This car is my beater so rough as guts methods welcome.

DSC01437.jpg

what he said...^^^^^

or pull the motor out, drop the sump, take the head off, pull the pistons out, check the spark plugs, then get a screwdriver and twist the thermostat or hit it with a hammer, if all else fails take it to a garage... :badgrin:

ca16de, FWD arrangement - hence f all room. That bottom hose in the photo is the power steering, might have to pull that to free up some space. Behind that is the strut tower - lack of room is my limiting factor. The prick who put it in did it wrong, jiggle valve should be on the top, instead it's at 9'oclock. With it turned 90 degrees I would have had some good purchase to bash on.

Hopefully the weather is going to be okay-ish tomorrow so will give it another crack...

Just out of curiosity, whats the car doing thats making you change the thermo? We just bought a Pulsar and its running fine, but on long open road trips it overheats. lol, I guess something in the cooling system is clogged or maybe the water pump is fucked. I was just wondering if yours is doing something similar?

Mines doing the complete opposite, it's way undercooling. The gauge will sit and stay on cold with the exception of when the car is running but not moving (eg traffic). It use to sit around 1/4 but since removing the AC radiator and thus freeing up more airflow for the main radiator the gauge hardly moves now. I believe everything else in the cooling system is fine as if I leave the car idling for long enough the gauge will get to ~1/2 and the fan will kick in.

What model is your pulsar BTW?

Mines doing the complete opposite, it's way undercooling. The gauge will sit and stay on cold with the exception of when the car is running but not moving (eg traffic). It use to sit around 1/4 but since removing the AC radiator and thus freeing up more airflow for the main radiator the gauge hardly moves now. I believe everything else in the cooling system is fine as if I leave the car idling for long enough the gauge will get to ~1/2 and the fan will kick in.

What model is your pulsar BTW?

You have no thermostat / its jammed open then.

Fix it. You may use less fuel.

The car was a sitter for 3 years so I'm not surprised it's jammed wide open, and when I flushed the system there was only water in it, no coolent.

have you got a trolley jack handle.??

stick that on it and give it a tap downwards...

Don't know if I've have room for that (or a block of wood that Simon mentioned) but thinking along those lines using an old long ratchet extension with a hammer. Coming out one way or the other lol.