stereo buzz

WildPlumDx

so just randomly after my ute came back from the panel beaters it gets this annoying sound that gets louder the more the turbo kicks in so was looking at stereo filters but not sure what one to get there 5amp 20amp etc, have pioneer HU and 600w sony 4ch amp ?

Wont be turbo related.

More likely alternator / plug lead interference.

They may have left an earth cable or something off?

did they do any welding? they could have hurt some components in the power supply in the amp

one way of treating this symptom is to add a decoupling capacitor to the power supply for the amp / radio. get the largest affordable value in Farad with insulation rating (volts) roughly twice the vehicle supply (13-14v means get a 25-30v cap). get electrolytic type, they are polar, pay attention to markings (or make cool smoke bombs). treating the cause is better, if you can find it.

here's some homework then

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupling_capacitor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor#Power_conditioning

basically; just solder/connect the negative to a good earth and the positive to the power supply to the amp, i think there are some car-audiophile-type capacitors specifically designed for amp power supply decoupling but they are probably overpriced and just a capacitor anyway.

PS> this may not help if your amp is toast

Welding in cars can really fuck things like amps and ecu's.

ypu yup .

ca ecu if happy as larry but my last amp got an awesome imitation bird thing going on after i migged up a tiny hole in the 910's gaurd .

yuh i should know better then that etc .

yep, the more farads the better. there is a marking for the negative wire only, install it as close to the amp as possible, it should even fit into the connector on the amp if you bend and shorten the legs a little.

bear in mind this won't help if the FETs in the amp are toast, which they could be if the damage was done by welding.

If it wasnt buzzing befor you took it to the panel beater and it is since you came back it could be faulty rca leads or a bad earth. The first thing i would check is the earth on the amp. Is it good ? is it still attached ? Where is it earthed too ?

If the earth on the amp is removed or not very good, the amp with earth itself through the rca leads back up to the head deck and earth out through the head deck wiring. This will cause buzzing in your speakers.

Is the amp connected to the rear speakers only ? or front and rear ?

oooh so i dont have to open the amp up ? so you mean put the pos leg on the pos of the amp and the neg leg on the negative of the amp ? seriously your explaining this to a noob electrical person

also r100 its earthed under the seat to the chassis next to the amp, just sanded the paint off and ive checked all this and its fine plus the amp has all the speakers wired through it so don't think its that, would be nice to try it in someone else car

Finding whats causing the buzzing noise can be just trial and error. Make sure your head deck is earthed properly also. The biggest cause of engine noise "buzzing" is from bad earths or cheap unbranded amplifiers. You could always try your amp in someone elses car. If it still makes the speakers buzz then at least you have narrowed down your problem.