Adding twin electric fans, relay/fuse questions

Lump

The engine driven fan in the jag doesn't cope to well with waiting in traffic, so I'm converting to twin electric fans I've got from a mid nineties falcon (EF or EL I think).

I found this wiring diagram with a google search.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/2092733

about the sixth post down.

Just wondering what size relays and fuses I should be using with these fans?

PS I'll be leaving out all those LED's

check how much current the fans draw, you could probably get away with a single relay/fuse to simplify things most dual factory fan setups are single fuse/relay. Also most factory thermo switches (if you raid one from a wreck) will be internally earthed and switch to earth, saves running a extra wire to them

• 3 weeks later...

Fans installed

dsc03633v.th.jpg

dsc03634we.th.jpg

Ignition source taken from the coil..... not sure if this is ok or not :? - it does only activate the relays so I think it'll be ok

dsc03637i.th.jpg

They work really well, the power draw from the fans with the car at idle is ok - it gets a bit much when the lights are on, I'm going to try a smaller pulley on the alternator.

Thanks for all your help getting this set up

Do they run like shit with the lights on? As in no power?

The lights and fans will still work at idle but the voltage reading at the battery drops to about 11 V, the engine's running doesn't seem to be effected, I guess i'd just prefer to not have any draw on the battery after starting.

I get plenty of volts when driving the car normally. the cars running a lucas alternator from a later model jag - (the original alternator was externally regulated) and it seems to have a larger than normal pulley attached - also painted chev orange. I figure I'll try and get a normal sized pulley for the lucas alternator, or try and replace the whole lot with a GM/Holden alternator which should bolt up better than the current lucas setup