Lada 1500 with suspected blowby...

hutchwilco

Just looking for any random advice out there...

I just replaced the head gasket on this 88 Lada 1500, and she starts, runs smooth on choke, but fairly rough once warmed up. The oil filler cap has a decent brrr of air pressure (I've cleaned out the crankcase breather too) when she's running.

When I give her some gas, she lags quite a bit from idle but eventually roars up nice and smooth

The oil is new, but I know there's still some mayonnaise in there from when the gasket blew.

The coolant seems solid and isn't bubbling so I think the new gasket is ok.

I'm guessing it's blowby around the piston rings? What are the chances the rings/pistons are ok, and it's an isolated gasket breach just from one cylinder to the crankcase? I'm going to do a compression test asap.

thanks for any words of advice...

What are the chances the rings/pistons are ok, and it's an isolated gasket breach just from one cylinder to the crankcase? I'm going to do a compression test asap.

thanks for any words of advice...

The headgasket is extremely unlikely to allow combustion gasses into the crankcase. You have an ignition or mixture problem, and possibly a worn out motor too