hemi's guide to r200 lsd conversions

Hemi

right thought id give a bit of a writeup on r200 shortnose and longnoses . feel free to add any info that you KNOW is true so we can have a place to get good info from etc .

right here is a shortnose r200 out of a..dunno but its 4:11 ratio and has a viscous center in it

the longnose r200 is a 3.9:1 ratio out of ..fuck knows r30-31 skyline, datsun 280z or maybe a c31 laurel

P1020361.jpg

P1020362.jpg

right when the rear covers are taken off here is what is inside , the shortnose is on the left , note that the housing looks alot bigger , it probably is but they are the same diameter.

P1020363.jpg

P1020364.jpg

here we have both covers side by side , note that the shortnose has different spaced rear mount studs shortnose is 125mm center to center whereas the longnose is 85mm center to center

P1020368.jpg

P1020371.jpg

P1020373.jpg

next we have both carriers with crownwheels on side by side both are the same height 166mm end bearing to bearing

if you look closly you will also see that the crownwheels are of different thickness shortnose:27.6mm longnose:29.7mm

P1020374.jpg

heres a top view of the carrier you can see that the shortnose crownwheel is wider then the longnose item 32.6 vs 29.7 mm

P1020375.jpg

heres the two carriers side by side the lsd unit is slightly higher then the open one , this concerned me because a higher platform + thick crownwheel = waaay outta whack ..however when the longnose crownwheel was put on the lsd unit its came up at 85mm ..perfect

P1020376.jpg

after this i decicded to pull apart the carrier to show ppl what inside etc .

this is the viscous unit itself the large gear mates up to two smaller spiders gear and by using the shear strength of a silicone liquid (similar to what you find in fans) provides a lsd type action while not as positive as a clutchpack will outlast a clutchpack lsd by far .

P1020378.jpg

this is the underside of the viscous unit , not much interesting here but you can see two holes ont he backside , this is for draining and filling the unit ... the unit is fully sealed so there is no need to run an lsd type oil in this diff ...it will not make 5 5ths of fuckall of a difference .

P1020379.jpg

right here one side of the carrier case i took this picture to show you the shim that is here ... now some people belive that you can 'shim up' a viscouse lsd by adding washers here ...WRONG ...this shim sets the spidergear - viscous unit gap ... by adding washer here all you are doing it pushing the viscous unit out loading up the spider gears the lsd action of a viscous unit is decided by the viscosity of the silicone fluid not these shims .

P1020380.jpg

last but not least just a pic to show you the difference between a 2 and 4 pinion diff .first is the 2 pinion . these are alright but have a terrible habit of breaking the roll pin the holds the pinion rod in . once broken the rod makes its way loose tearing the carrier apart and taking everything with it .

P1020381.jpg

this is a 4pinion setup ..note how all spider gears are held by one hub ... these are far stronger and fail far less compared to the 2 pinion type .You will also notce the lsd spiders are alot smaller ... but there is one more of them in theory and the lsd action of the unit helps take the stress off them by lowering difference in shaft speeds .

P1020377.jpg

hope this helps some people :) .

Right now heres what ive found :

the cover bolts are different . shortnose = 12mm long = 10mm

the crownwheel to carrier bolts are different shortnose=13mm longnose=10mm this means you need 3mm bushes to go into the shortnose carrier to mount it into a longnose housing .

this is as far as i got tonight seeing as i dont have my own personal engineer on hand .

random specs:

shortnose longnose

cover mount bolt spacing

125mm 85mm

crownwheel thickness

27.6mm 35mm

crownwheel width

32.4mm 29.7mm

carrier hieght

166mm 166mm

crownwheel bolts

13mm 10mm

(both shortnose and longnose crownwheel bolts are the same length)

• 2 years later...

What car do you have Zips?

The other thing which has been ommitted from this sweet sweet how-to, is that one of the input shafts needs to have the longer input, which includes the smaller splined section at the end to engage into the viscous cartridge.

If you already have CV halfshafts, then no problem. If you're still rocking dirty old UJ's, then it's a bit more fucking around.

What car do you have Zips?

The other thing which has been ommitted from this sweet sweet how-to, is that one of the input shafts needs to have the longer input, which includes the smaller splined section at the end to engage into the viscous cartridge.

If you already have CV halfshafts, then no problem. If you're still rocking dirty old UJ's, then it's a bit more fucking around.

wait wut??. naw man the output shafts on this are the same length and size do0d.

the r180 lsd does however have those different output shafts 8) well thats my experiance anyhow

I'm talking bout the bit on the end with the smaller spline. ONe input goes all the way through the center into the viscous cartidge. If he has CV shafts, then it's no hass to butcher the inner one apart, and swap it for the two peice later model (R32 etc) and fit the 3x2 (etc) inner input flanges. Without the extra spline, the diff will just be open.

In a car that rocks UJ's the viscous caridge drive part needs to be welded, or otherwise attached to the input.