Hot start issues

Bombsquad

Having issues with my daily not starting when hot. Simply 4 cylinder single cam carb engine so cant be much wrong with it in theory.

Car will start first pop in the mornings or when cold, but refuses to start when hot. Has fuel and compression, and seems to have spark as will start when crash started or after about 30 seconds of cranking and llloooottttsss of pumping the gas.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this as its a pain in the arse trying to go anywhere

No i have no idea, and yes im going to put a timing gun on it tomorrow.

I think its retarded, as its pretty fuckin gutless when running aswell, and the general opinion of most others seems to be the timings out aswell

if nits awesomely retarded you'll ge alot of backfire on decel .

also does it fire on turno over or is dead , aka does it try to start or does it just say fuck you

No backfires, runs mint when driving. When you crank it it sometimes tries to fire just once and then will crank over for a minute or so with nothing at all, just totally dead

and ti dont matter if your pumping the pedal or holding it hard down??? ,

If i pump the pedal it fires eventually, after about 30 seconds to a minute of winding over.

I considered fuel filter being blocked aswell, so have bought a new one today (not fitted yet).

Could be running rich, i dont know how to check mixture and dont want to lean it out :?

Have also put new condensor on dizzy without any improvement

If i pump the pedal it fires eventually, after about 30 seconds to a minute of winding over.

I considered fuel filter being blocked aswell, so have bought a new one today (not fitted yet).

Could be running rich, i dont know how to check mixture and dont want to lean it out :?

Have also put new condensor on dizzy without any improvement

try holding the pedal hard down then , if its runing rich pumping the pedal will worsen thing , holding it hard down allows more air in to evapourate the fuel , a good way too tell if its rich is to run it till its warm stop the engine and pull the plugs .

condenser and dizzy would cause running problems as would a blocked fuel filter.

And if i stop the engine and pull plugs when hot what am i looking for on plugs? Just wet or something more specific

should be a light grey colour , no ash on it so to speak (not fuzzy) , what your looking for though will be that they arnt black

then turn over for 5-10 secs and pull plugs again , see if they change

just pulled plugs to give them a clean and thought id post findings, first and second plugs seem normal but a little sooty/carboned up, 3rd plug has a greyish tinge but not bad, and 4th plug has a heavier build up of carbon, agina not bad and not affecting gap at all. I would possibly put this down to the fact the motor hasnt been running for quite awhile until recently and will give them a clean and see what happens

I was wondering about QFT aswell. Theres lots of sayings on this forum that dont seem to make it into the rest of the world :?

My other thought of the day was that i dont even know if the engine has the correct plugs in it :oops: they were supplied by one of the repco muppets without any thought on my part, just assumed they would know what was meant to go in there.

gremlins.....

QFT

what is QFT???? :?:

quoted for thruth .

yea do that mate , if they are black its too rich , i say run it till its at operating temp to make sur ehte cold run mechanism isnt going to affect the plug colour .

Ok so after a solid read of the workshop manual i decided to have a crack at setting the mixture, wound the screw in 2 turns before it came right :shock: then adjusted the idle to suit. Went for a drive to bring it up to temp, came home turned it off, let it sit for a minute and bang away she went again :mrgreen: been for another big drive now right around hams and home again, let it sit for a few mins and bang again 8)

So fingers crossed ive found the source of the hard start issues

Cheers guys