rover v8 - manual trans q

rob.121

what 5speed manual gearboxes/bellhousings are compatable with this motor? are there any common faults with this motor and what is the longevity of the aluminium motor like? are they any good with high kms?

cheers 8)

they are a reasonable motor, but I wouldn't go and say they are especially reliable or unreliable. As they're pretty much all old now it's really going to depend on what kind of life its had and what kind of maintenance as to what condition it will be in. But as with most old stuff expect the worst e.g. if you get a high km engine you will might need to do at least a head set at some stage.

Rover SD1's had five speed manuals gboxes. This would be the most common car to find the the suitable bellhousing/gbox.

Lots of people seem to put toyota 5 speeds in them, but thats more than a bolt together job

cool enough with just a mild cam and near stock shit

sound very cool reliable etc

but $ for $ beyond that unless you go crazy / work in machine shop and have a background in engine building

pretty much all the other v8s would be a better choice if you were doing a conversion

i.e. factory standard nissan or toyota v8

but thats not to say there not cool in their own way

theres often toyota adaptor plate/bellhousing everything u need type sdetups on trademe

also pretty mich just get the latest motor you can even if it is a low c.r

most of the cheap ones on trademe have gay ropeseal crank seals and rotten cooling passages and stuff

i ptetty much just brought rebuilt unused heads and rocker shafts and shit as they came up on trademe and put one togther

with brand new/as new everything for like 1500 bucks , (all that shit comes up real often) theres not many parts to a rover v8.

cheers for the replies :D as i thought, not expecting alot from an old motor but just wanted to check if they had any massive problems with age being alloy and all. I dont have any engine re-building experince so would rather pay more and get a good motor to start with. A latter model lexus v8 would be better but the rover would be more than enough for my application and is a much cheaper alternative.

I read on wickipedia that rover manual trans were prone to breakages? that maybe the earlier 3500 models tho i think. do the water galleries corrode massivly? other than that they seem to be a fairly robust engine.

will have a look out on tme for the toyota adaptor sets. i think most people just run them with factory autos in conversions it seems..