soda blaasting

tregath

I sand blasted the underside of a valiant bonnet with my home sand blaster. Took forever, but it didn't fuck the panel. Mind you a val's bonnet webbing is stronger than the unibody construction on some old jappas.

I've heard though, that sand rapes panel steel, and soda doessn't. I personally just use a a wire brush cup wheel. Takes a bit of time, and covers you in shit, but not as much as sandblasting does. You'll still need to scuff up a key on the steel afterwards, for the paint to stick to. For $700, I'd bare metal your car for you with one. Only takes a day or so.

Ahem, as an ex restoration panelbeater i can advise you that blah blah blah blaaaaaaa.

The 'warping' caused by sand blasting is due to the concentrated jet of sand hitting the panel face, and heating it. As the operator moves back and forth down the panel, its creates waves.

Its great for singular parts, but man, you can never get sand out of a blasted bodyshell.

And the definition of heartbreak, when your in the booth, 300+ hours later, laying down the last colour coat, and Bam! out pops a pocket of sand from only god knows where. Start again.

Modern panel steel is high tensile, allowing it to be a thinner gauge of steel, where as old shit, the older, the thicker.

Apart from Japanese cars, lol.