1kz-te engine trouble

Josh

Ok so it's not oldschool, but maybe someone can help me out because most people here are pretty clued up it seems.

I have a 95 hiace, 3l turbo, the 1kz-te motor. Problem I'm having is, is starting. It cranks over excessively when cold (i.e in the mornings) sometimes untill it runs the battery dead. When it does start it blows extreme amounts of white and dark smoke out untill it is warm. Most the time it has trouble starting anytime, but not as bad as when it is cold. Outruling the starter motor and battery because these seem fine.

Thing that gets me is, it runs fine when driving, has heaps of pull and doesn't miss a beat, blows a bit of smoke though, not alot more than expected from a diesel motor.

Anyone have any ideas or past experiences with these motors, is it dying on me? Have heard that the valve seals may be shot and oil leaking down into the bores is making it hard to start, possiblility?

my 2l-t surf was doing a similar thing at random times, i just reset the ecu and it was fine. I just disconnected the battery then held my foot on the brake to drain the leftover power from the ecu, unpluged it, pluged it back in and it woked fine.

If its just cold starts that are hard i would say glow plugs too, but seeing as you say warm starts arent much better maybe lack of compression or something up with your fueling system.

Diesels normally startup real quick when thier warm (no real need to glow them when thier warm either)