Shiming an LSD

cute wee gem

I took my LSD apart tonight and gave the shim to my mate to make up a new one slightly thicker. I just don't know how much?

I'm guessing 0.010-0.030 from what I've seen before, but that was on a completely different diff.

shims go up in 0.010 increments usualy

to be honest its a bit of a gamble till you know how its works, theres alot of fucking round till you find the corret preload t suit what you want

and if your starting blind itd be better to get a few 0.010 shims made up so you can play around and then its a case of putting and pulling siad shims till you decide what suits you

unless you have a ftlb breakway torque in mind which will be much easier to measure on a bench

Fair call, anything tighter than what it is now would be good lol.

I've also heard of people using shims up to 1.5mm? now I'm really confused. The standard spacer is probably 3-3.5mm (one at each end)

Edit: done a bit of googling and and going to try 0.020 and hope for the best, will get more made if needed

• 2 weeks later...

Well I made it 0.020 bigger and it's definitely tighter and will happily spin the outside wheel and swing out sideways in the dry now, but I'd like to shim it slightly more for a bit of predictability.

Anyway here's some pics, Brad. Not sure what you were after so took a few.

First friction/clutch disk is pretty worn for some reason but the rest of the disks are still sweet.

dscf4414.jpg

dscf4415.jpg

dscf4418.jpg