Diff talk

fuel

Hey guys, just in a bit of a pickle with my diffs.

My original diff is 3.545 ratio non-LSD, while the diff I put in a year ago is 3.909 ratio with LSD. I'm pretty happy with the LSD but I can't help but feel the 3.909 is making the engine rev too high at 100km/h (which is actually about 120km/h indicated on the speedo), so I'm wanting to basically make a 3.545 LSD diff.

Now I'm not too up to the play regarding diffs, especially with things like backlash, preload etc to consider. I just pulled the diff nugget from the 3.545 diff out from the casing, and I thought probably the easier way would be to use the original 3.545 casing (and pinion gear) with the 3.545 crown wheel and the LSD centre from the 3.909 diff. However I realised the diff centres have the bearings attached on them (along with their accompanying shims), I know the bearings can be pulled off - but would it be absolutely vital to use the original bearings and shims from the 3.545 diff centre on the 3.545 diff housing? Or could I get away with leaving the bearings on the 3.909 LSD centre and use the shims from the 3.545 diff?

I don't exactly have the tools to measure pre-load, backlash etc so really don't want to mess something up that I shouldn't be.

Cheers

are they the same nugget between 3.5 and 3.9 ie same widths and bearings?

or did you swap the whole housing?

if you're using the o.g housing with a new nugget best bet is to take it apart and make sure your crown wheel and pinion are going to bolt to the lsd center then take it to

a pro to be shimmed and adjusted as i wouldn't think lsd's are too easy to find for your stz

and blowing one coz a mate of a mate said he had done a few before would suck

your guna have to pull them apart completely to do the swap

will envolve redoing the backlash and preload

same reaosn my hilux diff is still 4.3 and no 3.9,(an u think 3.9 is bad :badgrin:)

How come I'll have to pull both diffs completely apart to do the swap? I want to use the original diff housing (remember this is for an IRS diff) so I don't have to mess about with taking the pinion gear out, so effectively I'll be using the original 3.545 pinion in the original diff housing with the original 3.545 crownwheel, but using the LSD centre from the donor 3.909 diff, which has the bearings attached to the centre, and with the side shims from the 3.545 diff. Make sense?

are they the same nugget between 3.5 and 3.9 ie same widths and bearings?

or did you swap the whole housing?

if you're using the o.g housing with a new nugget best bet is to take it apart and make sure your crown wheel and pinion are going to bolt to the lsd center then take it to

a pro to be shimmed and adjusted as i wouldn't think lsd's are too easy to find for your stz

and blowing one coz a mate of a mate said he had done a few before would suck

Yeah everything is the same between the diffs apart from the different crownwheel and pinions for each ratio.

Yeah might get my LSD looked at while it's out too, you're right starion LSDs aren't easy to find and are usually expensive and are only the clutch pack type so wear out over time.

what i done when i changed my open diff to my trd one on my chaser was this

pulled the bearings off using a modded gear puller ( had to due to were the bearings sat )

when i pulled the shims out i made sure they went back in on the correct side

changed centers over ( easy also used new crown wheel bolts ex toyota )

when it came to re-assembly of everything i sat the diff in the craddle, making sure it was meshhing correctly, placed the shims/washers in on there correct side's.

torqued the bolts up on the caps

then got engineers blue and chucked it on three of the crown wheel teeth

rotated the crown wheel in till the ink came back around and used that to check for meshing probs

as the crownn wheel turns and meshs with the pinon it whips the ink off on the surfaces that touch each other and you can tell weather or not you have good teeth contact

most bearings now days you can get about 100k kms out of ( un opened of coarse ), but if i were you man i would change them, regardless if there notchy or not, just for peace of mind

tell me what the bearing numbers are and i can get them at cost + 10%

if your pulling the lot out aka removingthe nugget with crown wheel then reoveing crownwheel from siad nugget and bolting the crown onto the lsd carrier , i cant see why it would need to be preloaded again, if you have to take the bearings off to get the crownwheel off then yes you would be wise to take the lot into someone with tools and get it done there . i know from personal experiance that diffs that are loaded properly tend to take the hardening off everything and self destruct :S

sweet well that's a bit re-assuring. I don't need to remove the bearings to get the lsd centre out, so was hoping to just keep the bearings on the lsd centre from the 3.909 diff and use them in the 3.545 housing.

jarred I read about that machine blue ink in the conquest/starion workshop manual so will give that a go to see if it's all meshing sweet. bearing number is 18731.

chur