kpr

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it goes again and drives! heaps to do still but least it goes again.

Pic_0003osss.jpg

for now engine is a redtop bigport that had a blown headgasket, with who knows how many k's on it. threw my smallport head on it a chucked a few new seals in it.

Pic_0003jnk.jpg

open diffs are horrible hopless things. after driving car a few times had to go. managed to get a new trd lsd for a sweet price. its for jza70 supra's etc.. (irs cars) but will fit the hilux carrier with some slight mods

with the hilux crown wheel bolted to it:

Pic_0006trdlsd.jpg

just need to get some, lsd spec bearings so i can install into non lsd carrier. have a 4.5 ratio hanging about. so will use that for now. probably still a bit low geared but better than the 4.9 in there now!

got lsd in. putting it in the carrier was pretty straight forward.

the trd lsd center has a different offset to the hilux one, so backlash cant be adjusted right with the stock adjusters. so machined a few threads off one to get some more travel

Pic_0002ls.jpg

Pic_0004ls.jpg

Pic_00061ls.jpg

as you can see one of the adjusters sticks out quite far. but theres enough threads on it to not be too dodgy. had to trim a bit more off the drivers axle due to the offset also. but what was a cunt was the camber on my diff. it had been giving the open diff a hard time and the axles wouldn't go in with the lsd. had to cut the case and remove some of the camber. just enough for the axles to slide in nicely. i was having to give them a bit of a whack to get them in the open diff, so wasn't a surprise when the diff oil cam out a bit metallic !

• 1 month later...

more diff issues ! turns out previous owner stuffed the 4.5 above. had an awesome whine.. short version, the 4.5 got throwen on floor after 3 attempts. got another head, 4.3 this time. installed lsd. works mean.

got some adjustable arms, made some urathane ends

Pic_0002arm.jpg

more adjustable stuff

Pic_0019dfln.jpg

looks pretty messy but works. will paint engine bay next time the engine comes out

Pic_0005eb2.jpg

yes two rails & eight injectors!

Pic_0007eb2.jpg

shiny thing in above pictures

Pic_0011eb2.jpg

• 5 months later...

hmm long time no update. have been busy with other stuff but have done a little bit on this thing.

had an engine damper hanging about from another project. which i decided i was going to fit, since the engine jiggles about a bit.

to get a good mounting on the body, it needed to attach to the strut tower somehow. so decided may as well make a strut bar, and include a mount on this for the damper.

was going to use this spoon sport for honda(shame) on the front. but it was pretty close to fitting the back so choped it up and jamed it on here:

Pic_0004brc.jpg

due to lack of junk hanging about had to go full custom on the front

Pic_0002brc.jpg

and yeh engine damper still isnt done.

also has fiberglass doors now, that ive half ass fitted.

after a decent front bumper if anyone has one hanging about. factory non facelift or facelift either is good.

• 3 months later...

panel work is boring, so slow progress. 90% of the body inc bonnet has been striped back to bare metal and straightened out. i didn't want to do this but was necessary, due to shit paint that was on it. an previous expanding foam repairs. stripping through the black then white then the factory red wasn't much fun.

couldn't be assed fixing the boot, so brought more glass. so now, front guards, doors and boot are all fiberglass.

current state as of today. i somehow resisted taking it for a spin down the road like this

Pic_0002prm.jpg

fixed the harmonic vibration the inlet manifold had, with another brace. i need to do the same with the exhaust manifold. being so long it has the same issue.

Pic_0005prm.jpg

some more new bits. keen to get a factory front rather than this fiberglass one.

Pic_00066prm.jpg

hopefully next update it'l have some new paint. im not sure what colour yet?!

• 3 months later...

roof got dust and bugs in it. pity as rest come out sweet, straight considering the fiberglass, hence white

Pic_0008ii.jpg

Pic_0004wi.jpg

^note epic wheel fitment.

big thanks to the bro for helping sand and spraying it. was about to go insane with all the sanding

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...