kpr's ae85

kpr

discussion: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16590

was on the look out for another project since the kp is basically finished. after missing out on a few old toyota's. the ae85 popped up. yeah, kinda jumping on the band wagon with the ae85/6 thing, but fits my "requirements"

heres a few pics the day we picked it up:

powerhouse 3a-u and sweet fusion speaker wire battery clamp.

Pic_0001ae.jpg

panda paint job is on the list to go. but way down the list.

Pic_0006ae.jpg

have robbed some choice parts off my starlet(not the kp!) and are currently trying to sell it to fund the ae85 project.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

out with the old shitters, still had the factory shocks. no wonder it handled so bad

Pic_0001s1.jpg

cut the struts down. leaving just enough to aline the threaded tube, from the bc's. had to make a sleeve (middle in pic below) as the threaded tube id was 2-3mm larger than the outside of the strut. the nissan mounting points were chopped off as well.

Pic_0003s2.jpg

pressing the lot together

Pic_0006s3.jpg

Pic_0007s4.jpg

ready for test fit

Pic_0008s5.jpg

top mount holes needed to be slotted a little to fit the nissan camber plates.

Pic_0010s7.jpg

on lowest setting. sitting on some blocks of wood and jack stuck underneath, sweet

Pic_0012s6.jpg

just need to remove and weld properly. then onto the rear.

• 2 weeks later...

sold my ep82, and finished working on other peoples shitters so time to get back to the trueno.

now i don't have to work on it in the garden, time to cut some holes! :D

Pic_0004re.jpg

heres whats funding the ae85 build. robbed some of the choice parts off it for the ae85, before i sold it.

ep82drag009ss.jpg

Pic_005923.jpg

done a bit more, was a bit of a cunt to cut the holes, as couldn't holesaw them like i done on kp. as drill wouldn't fit. had to rape it with the angle grinder. plus it actually is made from metal not tin foil like the kp.

final height should be close to this, need to cut the bumpstops down.

Pic_0001rea.jpg

managed to chop the drives side hole a bit big somehow, so gotta fill the gap.

Pic_0009rea.jpg

rear is finished. unsure if i will brace to floor yet. handles so much better. but still has steering issues. a manual quick rack maybe on the cards. as the ps rack is pretty rooted, and has poor feel, plus its too slow!

Pic_0001reaf.jpg

whole thing can go down another 50mm or so from this height. while everything is still captive etc. need to cut the bumpstops down so it has travel in the rear before going any lower. even at this height there's not much travel .

Pic_0008reaf.jpg

now i need a smallport 4age head, w5* box and a hilux diff now. if anyone has them hanging about? :D

• 3 weeks later...

no so exciting update.

3a is out. should have engine and box to mock up stuff on in next few weeks.

test fit of new steering rack.

Pic_0002lock.jpg

quaife ae86 quick rack, kp steering rack housing. ps steering knuckles. kp housing is shorter than the ae one. so has some sweet lock. still gotta weld passenger side rack mount on that i cut off kp x member, plus mod passenger inside guard as tyre hits. will have bit more lock then in pic when done

• 4 weeks later...

hmm how not to fix rust, news paper, expanding foam, bog and racing mesh for good measure. stuff on floor is what i dug out of it

Pic_0006ru.jpg

metal again

Pic_0006r.jpg

even modified my dead person/engine lifter. sweet new wheels, note the awesome caster. has obese guy rating up from fat guy now.

Pic_0003dead.jpg

got a engine and broken box for mocking shit up, moved engine mounts rear as much as possible without doing major mods. modified sump slightly. need the rubber mount that attaches to a w5* box if anyone has one ??

Pic_0006engbk.jpg

half made low mount alternator bracket, got lazy and didn't finish

Pic_0004alt.jpg

• 3 months later...

actually done some work on this today, finished the inlet manifold.

Pic_0003inn.jpg

Pic_0001inn.jpg

some pics from ages ago i was too lazy to post:

inlet manifold under construction & mocking up turbo,still haven't decided if im gonna leave it in this location yet.

Pic_0009ind.jpg

Pic_0002moc.jpg

comments and mockery most welcome

manifold.

looks a bit wack, but equal length and runners go into collector in correct order.

Pic_0003cl2.jpg

Pic_0008mes.jpg

Pic_0004mes.jpg

i ran out of pipe hence all the gaps and random bits of exhaust tube in places. so made a drop pipe

Pic_0004dp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

exhaust manifold finished, other than running out of paint.

Pic_0002exm.jpg

went on trademe one night half chopped, which wasn't my best idea ever. brought an intercooler. its huuge but fits surprisingly well. top brackets still to be made then its mounted.

Pic_0004exm.jpg

Pic_0006exmf.jpg

and yes it fits behind the bumper!(which is rooted yeh) will most likely paint black so cant be seen at all.

Pic_0010exmf.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

more stuff

nissan radiator cut down, yet to be mounted. intercooler and pipes done etc

Pic_0014enb.jpg

Pic_0015enb.jpg

deshielded valves and tidy up. ready to got to engine builder.

Pic_0001hd.jpg

modified fwd pulley rwd. yeh you can buy them. but nar, i made one instead.

Pic_0012pul.jpg

• 1 month later...

got some glass front guards to replace the cut up front ones. can kinda see them here, nothing interesting just stock copies

Pic_0005grd.jpg

there was some pretty major reconstruction work when doing the gards, not showin in pics. as found more expanding foam repairs. cant weld to that shit!

at this point got the shits with panel work, start on front brake upgrades.

283mm rotor vs stock

Pic_0004brk.jpg