Extractors

Jase

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

donuts are annoying as they aren't drop saw friendly. i usually grab a pile of 90's or 180 deg. then just start cutting and tacking the suckers together. or can tape them to start with. if you cut one wrong, you sure to use it later on somewhere anyway. the length of straight on the 90's/180's is allways helpfull as well. saves cutting and welding small sections of straight alot of the time.

construction wise, i find it easiest to roughly figure out were your pipes are going to run. then build you first pipe right down to your collector, tack it all together, then use that pipe for a guide to make the rest of them. rather than trying to make all them bit by bit

I've only built one set myself that were for a g200w in my old gemini sedan which was tight as well with 12"primaries into a 3 inch collector of 18" then through a 2" exhaust system,

was pretty dull till 4g then twincam goodness got things excited,

i did those the kpr method and got epicly pissed trying to get the form correct and the lengths equal,

thats why i thought of the pingpong wire method to map them all out and see the result in the engine bay prior to going and cutting any expensive bends up,

i may have to get a dropsaw yet coz grinders fail on nice square cuts

i use large hose with stiffining wire

cut 8 lengths of hose 44" long and make them fit in place

then make pipes to match those one header at a time... test fit and bang all done

still takes a while but you can get a bit artistic with it

personally im down with twistys .... ... oh and stainless is pointless unless your keen to purge it

IMO the hardest thing to make is the colector ... i make that first along with the front secion of exhaust then position that where it needs to go ... then do the front pipes

may sound silly but there is nothighn worse than making extractors.... then finding you cant get a pipe to them

hope that helps

oh and sropsaws fail at cutting bends ... get some chain cutters and a alignment clamp

IMO the hardest thing to make is the colector ... i make that first

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 424181.htm

http://www.hybridgarage.co.nz/ (His website)

Im looking at getting a collector of this fella, i think the price is reasonable and he can put any flange you want on them for the same price.

Unless your not even talking about turbo collectors :doubt: ... which im staring to think ur not.

sounds like a plan where would i buy such ingenious things?

alignment clamps from arc welding supplys .. i think they may sell chian cutters but appco might be your best bet or hand tool house

hope that helps mate

• 2 weeks later...

went to coby yesterday and bought some bends which were really well priced although all out of the scrap bucket, $rutherford

and found some chain cutters at autotrail $12xsir ed

gemini008yf4.jpg

w800.png

gemini009ss9.jpg

w800.png

also got collectors for header primaries and merge for secondary in aforementioned rutherford

thanks to mat at coby (gc),

will just have to get some guides from arc welding sup

and drop my dummy block in the parts car and start with the brazing rod and flexi pipe to get the forms

prepare you "vomit" started the mock up process before i cut any steel,

i used dowel cut into 15mm blocks and some beads from spotlight,

threaded over 3.2 gas welding wire,

decided on 40" primaries length of said wire :lol: with 38mm being the size.

did some measuring in the engine bay to find placement for the collectors then got into it

gemini010ne6.jpg

w800.png

last pipe is the worst has to go between the others then reach around for the length

cheers mate conduit was too expensive and not going to be easy to work with,

whats the story with vega? he was my leading source of useful info on this lil project,

balance pipe at the collectors i'm thinkin or no bother with a single exhaust system?

wouldn't bother with balance pipe if you are going into a single.

i would look at running a custom collector or modifying those coby ones(if they are normal coby ones that is) . put a pyramid in the center, so it doesn't have the dead area in the center of the collector.