odd temperatures in kp starlet

penco

ive got a kp-61, 4k engine, no mods at all, stock standard. It happens every time i take it for a drive if it hasnt be driven for more hten afew hours. I will turn on the car and drive, the car will slowly get hotter and hoter until its about 5mm from going into red on the gague, then it will ALWAYS drop down and stay at a normal temperature the rest of the ride.

i have checked all my liquids and they are all topped up. Any ideas?

i to say it the thermo, after replacing that if it still does it just disconect the top plug that goes into the neck of the thermo housing and this will make your fan run full time. it worked in my kp and now it never gets hot like it use to and i got a worked 5k in it with a standard 2k radiator

The 5K in my van was doing the same thing, sounds weird, but it was the belt slipping, front main seal was leaking a bit, would fling oil onto belt and slip, making the engine get hotter, then after a while the belt would start gripping again and temp would come back down. If you go for a bit of a frash, and rev it a bit, dose the temp rise up fairly quickly?