Lowering torsion bar suspension

Vintage Grumble

Sup? I have a van, with torsion bar suspension, and am looking to lower it. Something I cant decide is whether or not the suspension will get softer the lower I go? Will the spring rate change as I unwind the bars? Im not sure it will as the weight on the bars wont change, but does it take more tension to hold that same weight up higher? I jacked up a surf I had once by cranking the bars rite up, and im sure it made it way stiffer, so im assuming it will do the reverse when the bars are backed off?

I dont quite understand how it gets harder the lower you go? Can someone explain? I would have thought that the lower it was, the less tension there was on the bars, the softer it would be? Or has it got something to do with the shocks being more compressed making them harder? Im sure my surf got harder as it got higher?

most sytems with torsion bars dont have alot of travel, like 35mm bumpstop clearance (which equates to alot more wheel travel) so when you wind it down even a little you normally just end up riding on or hitting the stops regulary

drop spindles is the only way to go for good handling when dropping a van/ute with torsion bars, there is one other option that i would normally do but requires quite abit of mucking around and usally machining, and that is to goto p-a-p and find another van with a different spindle that is offset higher and make that fit, normally works best for fitting van spindles to a ute, mine got a massive drop from it but was alot of messing around and prob fuks all your front end geometry