VR4 into EX

esky boi

Howzit people..been a while since ive been around here :)

Considering doing the vr4 into ex lancer thing so ive started doing my research, just need to confirm a few things..

-engine mounts

The vr4 4g63 bolts up to the standard 1200/1600 mounts correct?

-gearbox/driveshaft

I understand the sigma box will bolt straight up to the vr4 engine+ex chassis? and the L200 box can also be used in combination with the sigma x-member? what will I need to use in the way of a driveshaft??

And are these boxes both cable clutch? are there any hydraulic pedal boxes that will bolt up with little/no mods in the interests of converting to hydro?

-clutch/flywheel

I need a rwd 4g63 combo right? is this because the vr4 flywheel is too big to fit inside the sigma/L200 bellhousing?

Whats the difference in clutch sizes between this and the vr?

And if I were to convert to hydro, what release arm/ bearing combo could be used..a fwd setup?

-diff/brakes

Sigma turbo LSD bolts up? are there any disc brake setups that will bolt up to the standard lancer diff? and will vr4/similar callipers bolt up by any chance?

Think thats all I need to know for now..I know lots of you cunts on here have done this conversion and should be full of helpful info, so fire away, in the meantime I'll be trawling through the project threads 8)

The search feature is your friend.

But...

The 1200 crossmembers and mounts dont work, you need an ex 1600 crossmember and mounts, or a 2000 sigma crossmember and mounts. Using the sigma crossmember apparently puts the engine a bit further back aswell, which makes the already super tight water pipes and cam angle sensor placement a real firewall bashing issue.

VR4 motors are a narrowblock, so the sigma gearbox will bolt to the back fine. Apparently L200's come with a wideblock gearbox, but i've got one and its definately narrowblock. Both are cable clutch, and the factory ex cable can be used fine. If you can, use an L200 box, as it will bring the shifter up in the right spot. The sigma boxes have the shifter a bit further back and it'll require a bit of cutting of the body to work. Failing either of those, you *could* use a factory 1600 ex lancer gearbox, but i dont think it would hold up very well. This brings up the driveshaft issue aswell, as the Sigma's and L200's have a larger output shaft, so you'll need the bigger front yoke put on your ex driveshaft. Length wise they should be about the same tho. Converting to hydro gets a bit tricky... You could try fitting starion hydro clutch bits into a narrow sigma gearbox... but not to sure on that, i'd just keep it cable, or use a whole starion engine and gearbox setup, so everything is wideblock.

Not sure on the sigma diff bolting in. I tried once to do it, and it didnt look like it was going to work without some modification, but i've heard of other people doing it without a problem, cant give you any clear answer on that sorry. Good luck finding a solid axle sigma disc brake LSD tho! I've had a few in the past and not one has had an LSD in it.

Everyone has really pinned what you need to do. But there are a couple more options

Just with the gearbox issue, you can use a sigma gearbox without cutting a hole in the floor. The 5spd out of the 1600 lancers have an unbolt-able selector that fits on the sigma box, which relocates the shifter in the correct place. Thats what ive done. Rumour has it that some l200,s were narrowblock aswell

As for Hydro set up, If you can source a fucked A175 (EX GSR) that will have your hydraulic setup. You'll need to cut the firewall out because the master cylinder is recesed into the firewall. Ive got a hydraulic pedalbox if you want

Use Sigma engine mounts.

Hope this helps