VOLVO!

Vintage Grumble

hah so you got that one from Trademe? I had my eye on that one but completely forgot about the auction.

I would say the calipers have pistons which are sticking. Hopefully it's nothing serious like the ABS pump or something along those lines.

Yeh, I got old blue off tard me last week. I suspected the calipers, but when I fitted new pads (the old ones were shot, and I was hoping new pads might fix it, hehe) the pistons pushed back easy, and the brake's work sweet as for a little while, then clamp on, and I cant see how the calipers them selfs would stay on? Im thinking fluid may be getting past piston in the master cylinder, and then slowly leaking back due to the return spring? Well I hope thats what it is, cos I farked the master trying to get it apart (20 years of being rite next to a turbo aint been kind to the master cylinder) and have a new one on the way. I dont know jack about ABS units, so I hope it aint that, if i pull the ABS fuse it should stop it from doing anything I guess?

Yeh, im going to whip off the calipers seeing as the master cylinder is already off, and have a nose (it has twin pot calipers on it, but both pots are on one side which is a bit odd?) I did notice that the top slide had a fair bit of play in it, but once again, cant see how the heat would cause them to jam? although heat may have nothing to do with it, it may be how many times you use them? Well new master cylinder will be on tonight, it better be the problem or I farked a good master cylinder! :D

Most modern twin pot calipers are the sliding type, so both pistons on one side

caliper5.png

760.jpg

2_pic2_600.jpg

This is the only image of a Volvo twin pot caliper I could find on the interwebs, I'm guessing yours is the same/similar?

Image003.jpg

*EDIT* actually on second looks it seems to be a single piston caliper above, the two cutouts of either side of the main cutout put me off.

Girling was the other brand! brakes seem to be fixed and working well, not totally sure what the problem was, but calipers had a lot of shit in them, gave them a clean out, a light hone and a rebuild kit and they seem to be all good. Had a look at old master cylinder and it was a bit of a mess, so couldn't have hurt to change that also. Bit of a bugger to bleed tho, but from what I have read, most volvo's are.

Girling was the other brand! brakes seem to be fixed and working well, not totally sure what the problem was, but calipers had a lot of shit in them, gave them a clean out, a light hone and a rebuild kit and they seem to be all good. Had a look at old master cylinder and it was a bit of a mess, so couldn't have hurt to change that also. Bit of a bugger to bleed tho, but from what I have read, most volvo's are.

very much so

Haha, trust me, they sure as hell were stuck on, so bad that it was spining the rear wheels! but they worked perfectly when cold or first use of the day sort of thing. They are working sweet as now, ABS even works! They just feel a little soft, i'll bleed them again soon, never had a car with a bleed on the master cylinder tho.