high touque starter motor's

excort

hey guys i brought a high touque starter motor for my engine a gear reduction one 4.4.1 gear ratio now im assumeing its not going to crank as fast as a stock one but is it normal to get alot more noise from them like a whineing sound ? my engines not exactly high compression so im thinkin i just wated $300 when i really didnt need to.

stuff

I had one before I decided I didnt need it.

It should crank millions time faster.

It should also whine when turning over.

It is also not needed unless high comp, in saying that they you can get them for $250odd bucks new and thats pretty decent for a new starter.

But yeah, you didnt need it... Its still a new reliable part for an old engine which is good.

Gaz

yeah well i got it to be reliable i think it must be a meshing problem also i have a flywheel from esslinger with a spacer plate on it which is made of alloy i think the alloy spacer plate might be warpd this would caurse meshing problems ? and yes it is for a pinto.

i have two roadrunner high torque starters,

one for the rover v8 high comp

one for my commy v6 low comp

they do whine a bit but are considerably smaller and lighter than the oe units

have not seemed to labour at all on either engine,

i have had no probs although little use but another mate of mine has had one on his 327

in his impala for about ten years now and has been carefree

^ correct, I have a gear reduction starter on my v8. I have a big fat cable running directly up from the battery in the boot. They crank over 100 times faster than normal which is great for starting big engines and high compression engines. Mine is also heaps smaller than the standard ones and a great deal lighter, and yeah they make a cool noise.