confusing chevette issues

sgtjackass

I just brought a chevette, ran fine for a day then started running rough as. have checked points, got new dist cap and rotor and cleaned and rebuilt carb- very quickly. engine bogs down hard at load, idles a little rough, and is basically undrivable- unless the choke is on a tiny bit, then it runs generally a hell of a lot better. im doing condenser tomorrow and the spark plugs are carboned up hard, but that could be cause of the carb cleaner that ive used heaps of. im still guessing carb issues, the car had no fuel filter so was full of crap. cars specs are as follows: 1256

ported and shaved head, runs on 98 otherwise pings, weber 28/36dcd carb. lite fliwheel hd clutch and otherwise standard.

jope u guys can help me, im a small motor mech but im out of ideas, dont really want to be paying 60 bux an hour to get it fixed.

cheers

todd

argh i knew i was right in not buying that little red chevette,

have you got the ported shaved head on it?,

sounds like overfueling and weak spark,

the dissy housings in 1256 engines are prone to running the bushes

and causing the points to burn out frequently,

i would check that there is an even gap with a feeler gauge as you wind it through the cyclinders,

ditch the old leads and grab something from an efi ca16 pulsar or such normally had clear helicoiled leads,

check the size of the chokes in your 28/36 as it maybe set up with open chokes that are probably too big,

these carbs are tuneable but normally on 1500's up,

it maybe worth looking into going to an electronic ignition,

other thing is what size exhaust are you running and how well is everything sealed,

vacuum leaks = backfires and choking overun

after days worth of fixing dodgy repairs and misc problems i have concluded that i need a new carb, cause the weber on it is too buggered to be usefull. i found a huge vacuum leak, last owner used tape instead of hoseclamps on brake booster connections. yup got the head and exhaust manifold on, went good as like that for a while now it runs like a bag of shit. it so dam hard to find parts for old shit.