flushing collant system

Ke36

ok keen to flush my coolant system in my mad daily fiat uno

pipes are full to fuck off rust and gunk and now my heater has stoped pumping out hot air which means ultra gayze on cold mornings/whole of winter, so i think it might be blocked up, well its worth a try anyways

whats the best way to do it just start her up and pump the hose in the the top rad pipe and watch it all flow out?(with the heater cranked on full obviously), or do i have to do it when cars not running?(cant really see that dislodging bugger all)

there anyshit i can put in it and drive round for a hwile to help dissolve everything thats in there?

Take off your top radiator hose at radiator end and pump into there, will dislodge more as going opposite way of coolant flow.

I think it's usual that direction of flow is top to bottom, not bottom to top so if you want to flush it, you'll need to take the bottom hose off... or stuff the hose into the enging at the top. Either way, I'd take the thermostat out first.

You can get shit to clear the cooling system, but it does tend to leak like a sieve after you use it.

I always used to use the explosive method - wait till it's warm, heater on full, then take the cap off. That tends to shift stuff quite well. Once everything's cooled down and the mess has been cleared up ( waste land is good, but don't forget to take some water with you ), refill with water ( drive home ) and drain normally when cool, refit the thermostat or a new one, then 50% german white wine and you're done.

by there i mean radiator hose so flush enters through thermostat which as I'm writing this i realise cant do :lol: don't no why i didn't just write what i do instead of er making it up, you put me off my mentioning pumping in through radiator :D

Ok remove thermo housing, pump water into block and out of radiator

There :D

if your heater core is blocked up i probablky woudltn use anything that can unblock it for fear of it taking out the very thin amount or corroded copper keeping that lovely coolant in .. will leak all through the footwell in cockpit ,

also yer flush bottom to top .

yea heater work reidiculously well up until about 3 months ago now its just freezing cold air

the flush is more so to get it working again than anything to do with the actual cooling system

anyone got any other ideas on why my heater doesnt work no more?

heater cores are fragile i use the garden hose disconnect it from the engine and flush the gunk out,

then drop the thermastat off and flush backwards through the head pumping back through the heater port,

radiators i take to the pros

note cold water cold engine like hasn't been run since yesterday stz