Central locking

twisted

Got a C/L question.

My parts car had remote central locking, complete with an alarm module but no siren. The car is well stripped now, and due to my bad understandings of things electrical, the alarm module has been turfed.

Can i use the four actuators i have and install into my car? Or will they require some kinda control module?

Basically just wondered if the actuators use some simple control method and can be directly connected or if they need a control module.

cheers

If they are a standard unit like you buy from dicksmith or the like then one of them should be a master. If you operate that one, then the slaves with mimick what its doing. It won't be remote like it was with the alarm unit, but it should still work as its own central locking system.

yeah you need some sort of control box to control them. It's pretty much just a few relays. One will act as the master (drivers door, sometimes front passenger as well), and then all the rest are slaves. Master actuators have a motor (two wires), along with a two way switch to determine the position of the actuator (three wires, one being common). Most of them work by negative switching, so when you unlock the master door it grounds the common wire and the unlock wire and that will trigger the relay in the control box to unlock the slave actuators.

You can buy a central locking kit from supercheap, jaycar etc for around $40 - I installed one in my Eterna and it was pretty easy to install. I don't know if anywhere has just the relay box seperately. Even if you buy the whole kit you'll have some spare for like boot locks, fuel catch lock if you wanna be flash haha.

Wicked. cheers. i'm trying to avoid spending cash on this car for niceties as its a daily etc. But useless cunts keep leaving doors unlocked/i'm too useless to check.

From memory (without going and rummaging around in the dark, one of the actuators (drivers door) is simply like a barrel with another barrel coming out the side about half way up, and the others are all a rectangular box type. Would this be because the drivers side has been replaced with a non oem part that requires a control module?

If thats the case (and my thinking is correct) because C/L should work from the passenger door, i should simply be able to swap the drivers side part for one of the others, and have it act as a slave?

hrmm that barrel sounds like it's aftermarket as that's what they usually look like. I know mitsi OEM ones are rectangular and look like RC servo motors.

Most jap imports don't have the front passenger side as a master, the only cars I've seen which do that are NZ-new Mitsis.

What car is it? Did it have central locking factory?

hrmm that barrel sounds like it's aftermarket as that's what they usually look like. I know mitsi OEM ones are rectangular and look like RC servo motors.

Most jap imports don't have the front passenger side as a master, the only cars I've seen which do that are NZ-new Mitsis.

What car is it? Did it have central locking factory?

Not 100% sure if it did factory or not. Tis a nz new 88 Laser Ghia. So i'd assume that it had CL from factory as it has windows etc.

I should just harden up and wire it up etc but/lazy