Help a Newbi - AW11 4AGZE rebuild.

rusty260z

My Aw11 Mr2 engine needs rebuild, got smoke and water in chamber,

My budget/saved up is roughly $2,500

Aim - bought mainly for track use and one day Dunlop Targa etc. But has to usable on the road, dont want to tow it to track etc. Want something super reliable, but with potential to increase power later, power wise any gain over 30% above standard is swt (if that is realistic target)

But have never rebuilt an engine and all work will be done by professionals / workshop,

Will be keeping to supercharged, like having usable power from low in rev range. so do i keep standard supercharger or replace with something eles.

So what do i need to do to achieve the above, what parts should i replace or rebuild, someone was talking to me about 'forged pistons' etc.

so help me out with my budget. and spefic parts or part numbers or links would be super appreciated.

thanks.

really depends what you want I think you really need to do some research but you dont really need to much aftermarket parts to make it go hard. A 4agze in good nick can make 160kw+ for along time. Start pricing up all the parts you'll need for the rebuild get some quotes for the machine work and go from there.

Sounds like your looking for a bit of fun. From what I know and understand about these engines is that they are a pretty bullet proof.

Here are the Ideas I have looked at when doing my rebuild on an AE101 4AGZE.

I do have a PDF of an AW11 Manual if you want a copy just let me know .

Your engine in a standard configeration is built pretty tough, the bottom end is very strong, the AW11 is the earlier engine and does'nt have the ceramic coated pistons, but if you want to replace pistons and rods with new ones you are looking at spending all the money you have in getting some after market forged ones where standard items would do just fine with the power increase that you are looking at getting too. I think you will find the AE101 pistons and rods will fit no problem these are a tad stronger then the AW11 and AE92.. From what I understand the weakest link for these engines is they throw rod bolts so the best place to spend your money is here by using a Set of ARP rod bolts they will give peace of mind if you want to push the rev's a bit, such as in the targa situation.. The other thing I would recommend would be to get a set of race bearings for your bottom end ACL do a pretty good set so get your machine shop to measure these. If you do that your standard bottom end will be more then adequate enough for what you want..

For your head you can look at putting some Blue top cam's from a 4age these have a slightly better lift which will give a little bit more power, and this will save you a lot instead of going for after market cams. You could get the valves re seated and possibly a back cut on them if you wanted. Where you will get your main power is changing the pulley for the supercharger.. :D:D

So if you could'nt understand that long winded explanation simply..

ARP rod bolts (most important) can get a set for about $120ish off Trademe

Big end bearings with race bearings ( or just new standard ones) $120 - 160ish

Freshen up head with valve job and possibly blue top cams

Also don't forget to get the guys to put in new seals on the bottom end and head, valve stem seals etc.

Put on a new oil pump and water pump with all the new timing belts etc..

change the supercharger pullie's..

And most of your cash will be in paying the guys to do the job for you!

Also look at http://www.club4ag.com, and here is a link to a technical section on these engines http://www.club4ag.com/technical_main.htm they have heaps of info on 4age's an AGZE's

Have fun and any questions feel free to ask..

Oh forgot to say, Stick with the Standard supercharger the SC12, you will find it a mission and very costly to fabricate a SC14 it has been done though. also maybe you could look at an aftermarket computer Mines did a good one years ago which made rev limiter higher and had a different fuel map which will help out heaps because these cars can rev all day.. . :lol:

Oh forgot to say, Stick with the Standard supercharger the SC12, you will find it a mission and very costly to fabricate a SC14 it has been done though. also maybe you could look at an aftermarket computer Mines did a good one years ago which made rev limiter higher and had a different fuel map which will help out heaps because these cars can rev all day.. . :lol:

thanks a lot to ya all much appreciated, will look it to all of the above and start project tread once i get going, ta.

yes mike-e it is delicious

i used a sc becaue i wanted low down grunt and i had that a pleanty

but reallt ge head is for reving

so futbo it with a nice little t25g off a silvia and you will sucking teh jucies for years

buy a good running redtop bigport, a pully kit and a water to air intercooler (legacy or GT4)

slap all the s/c gear on the redtop, install the IC do the ABV mod. away you go laughing :D

then sell the dud 4agze longblock for prob what you paid for the redtop. and spend the $$$ you have left over on the suspension and rust repairs :D

:lol: i knew you wouldnt be able to keep ya pie hole shut wayne :lol:

my car when you went in it, has no relation to this thread at all.

try again :lol:

in essance i think what you said is stupid advice

now please explain to me why your opinion is more valid and informed than mine rather than making cheap remarks to diswade from the fact you really have no idea

ps ...i contibute to this form in topics that intrest me

would you liek me to make exception for when you post to not say anything ?.... i dont really see why your that special

Unless you get the later 7 rib block the 4agze is going to have better internals hands down for what is needed to sustain30% increases... Redtop has different compression ratio too not best suited to forced induction..

yes the 4agze has better PISTONS, but its been proven many times that the bigports can handle boost.

what i suggested is a good cheap and effective option that improves many aspects of the car. if the poster decides another option suits him better, fine. i will live. but he has asked for opinions. and they have been given.

wayne... cheap remarks? your the one who launched into a failed attempt to get at me. again (jeez you really are obsessed with me arnt you :? )

as i just mentioned, my suggestion is a good one that would make a huge improvment over a stock AW11. ok he may not want to go that way, fine. but its still a good option.

heres another good suggestion... GET OVER IT.

you have tried many times to get at me, going to some pretty low, immature and rather under handed lengths of dubious legaility and you have failed every time. ffs grow up :rolleyes:

or are you going to get your flatmate to lay false complaints with my work again? :lol:

i really wish you would just drive down here and look me in the eye when you spout off your bs

in future please keep your petty bs off the forums. either ring me or come see me.

Unless you get the later 7 rib block the 4agze is going to have better internals hands down for what is needed to sustain30% increases... Redtop has different compression ratio too not best suited to forced induction..

yes the 4agze has better PISTONS, but its been proven many times that the bigports can handle boost.

what i suggested is a good cheap and effective option that improves many aspects of the car. if the poster decides another option suits him better, fine. i will live. but he has asked for opinions. and they have been given.

wayne... cheap remarks? your the one who launched into a failed attempt to get at me. again (jeez you really are obsessed with me arnt you :? )

as i just mentioned, my suggestion is a good one that would make a huge improvment over a stock AW11. ok he may not want to go that way, fine. but its still a good option.

heres another good suggestion... GET OVER IT.

you have tried many times to get at me, going to some pretty low, immature and rather under handed lengths of dubious legaility and you have failed every time. ffs grow up :rolleyes:

or are you going to get your flatmate to lay false complaints with my work again? :lol:

i really wish you would just drive down here and look me in the eye when you spout off your bs

in future please keep your petty bs off the forums. either ring me or come see me.

as been said bla bla

keep on topic

stop makign up bulshit

and happy to stab you in teh eye etc etc.....adds more desperate internet tough talk

again big post all about misdirecting from issue of blatinly misinformation riddled post

still havent backed up anythgin ....bla bla

same old game revhead

i call you out ...you get pissy cause yoru a dumb fuck...start slinging shit...bla bla...still cant show anythign...bla bla

sparkle wrote:

blah blah blah vaginal discharge

best ever discription[/code]

dunno who proved anythign about bigports..but it wasent you

and when opions were asked for ...he wanted informed ones...

again

i diagreed asked what you have done yourself to bass yoru opinon on

and please ...tri ti stay on topic

OK

my 2 cents worth here

my ze re-bulid a few yrs ago cost me about $1500

but my ze crank shaft was bananard and crack................basicly fucked

your really going to need this

new head studs ( arp )

head gasket set ( get a nice trd one )

prob new valve stem seals

big ends/mains bearings

rings

at the time of my re-bulid i couldnt afford a ze crank shaft so i just got a red top/ ( cant remember so long ago ) and got ot balanced and nitred.alos got a good engine bulider in hams to bulid the short block for me

i also incurred a few maching costs to as.............yea........i kinda fuckd my 4agze

rusty260z i would just listen to spence and vvega they have both been around the block with 4ages,

as for modding it

first port of call would be a after market ecu

or instead of rebuliding just go buy a third gen 4agze out of a ae101

or

or

3sgte the bitch

all come down to how much $$$$$$ you have to play with

be at your place in a mo wayne chur chur