semi sealed headlight conversion

mark105

has any one else on here ever done this before?

im having issues with the low beams from some fucked up way they power them which puts both leads to the high beams as 12+ when the lows are on on the original wiring setup.

coz what i did was use as much of the original loom as possible just hacked it up suit and the datsun just switches the earth to go from high beam to low. so i took the original positive and cut it and split it and put this on my high and low beam relay coils and then took both the high and low beam switched earths and put the low beam one on one relay coil and the other on the high beam relay coil, test it, mint, switches relays on when its sposed to. so then i took power feed of battery and fed it to relays and then where i cut original loom to take take out power to switch on relays i put positive feed from high beam relay to positive of new lights, same with low beam. took earth and gave it a good earth. sweet lows go and flick it up to high sweet they work.

but went back to lows and got out n had a look and the high beams are glowing slightly and the low beams look like they loosing power some where. get in car and the high beam light on dash is always on no matter wether it is on high or low.

this is where im stuck, there has to be a wire on some where it shouldnt be feeding power to this high beam light in the dash and subsequently draining my low beam power. but im fully stumped.

that site didnt help out mate, no datsun stuff on it at all really.

sleeping on shit always works wonders. had a idea last night.

the weird 12V+ on the high beams must be the 12V+ feed from the light in the dash to tell me the high beams is on as the earth is switched and i used one of the old high beam wires as an earth, me doing that has connected the circut to earth so light is on all the time and in doing so using that wire when the high beams are off it buggers the low beams earth.

so i need to find out where that wire links in and take it out of where i snipped the factory loom out for the front head lights new wiring, coz it should be in the old loom operating the relays and not on the snipped out loom which is now for head lights only.

oh true, i didn't get high beam only ones, just replacing my hi/lows on the outside.

did notice tho as one of my sealed highs is blown in the middle that when i went to fit a hi/low into the cup it didn't fit. there is little blocks on the outside of the head light rim (3 of them) and the hi/lows have them in a different place to just the highs.

also does any one know if your allowed to use 90/130W H4's on the road?

i got 100/55W H4's atm but id like low beams to be brighter, tho i wont know till i test them tonight as just got it all working now.

i got 100/55W H4's atm but id like low beams to be brighter, tho i wont know till i test them tonight as just got it all working now.

I think you'll find that 100/55's are illegal for road, let alone 130/90's which are really antisocial - just get someone to drive towards you with the dips on. The best way to improve your lights legally is to use the original wiring to power relays using really big, short run cable from the battery to the lights. Especially if you're driving an italian car. And/or use bmw reflectors.

Also take care if you're using 100/55's. Don't use both filaments on main beam as the common connector tends to melt.

I think you'll find that 100/55's are illegal for road, let alone 130/90's which are really antisocial - just get someone to drive towards you with the dips on. The best way to improve your lights legally is to use the original wiring to power relays using really big, short run cable from the battery to the lights. Especially if you're driving an italian car. And/or use bmw reflectors.

Also take care if you're using 100/55's. Don't use both filaments on main beam as the common connector tends to melt.

dad uses 100/55s in the 4wd and has got wofs on them. so i dunno.

shouldn't have an issue. you'd be a mug to run both filaments anywho.

mine are mean as shit. 100w highs, and 60/55 on the outer lamps. light the road better than my bro's rallye 1000s that are about18 years old. rofl.

shouldn't have an issue. you'd be a mug to run both filaments anywho.

mine are mean as shit. 100w highs, and 60/55 on the outer lamps. light the road better than my bro's rallye 1000s that are about18 years old. rofl.

fuck yeh my 100W highs are just as good as driving in day light man. suppose the 55W lows are still twice as bring as my old lows haha. mean.

when i had my spotties they lit up the road like daylight with 55w like REAL good

spose a bit goes to the mirror design and lens

i wanna try 100watters for rofls

and eventually xenon discharge ...which give out same wavelength light we get from sun etc ... mint

my sealed beams had a 37w low. still ewren't too bad, but just adding relays and shit made them heaps better.

long range inserts are ftw hard. the 100w thing wouldn't make a hell of a difference I don't reckon

yeh my sealed beams have like a 30W low also.

i just got wagner semi sealed glass units and put narva 100/55W bulbs in them and the 100W is huge difference.