OS Capri engine parts random talk

2FKNLO

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah thats what I thought when I was younger.. but after 6 months of idling at 2000rpm like a tractor at the lights guzzling through the gas and shaking my carb out of tune got a bit tiresome. (and that was when petrol was 89c/L)

but yeah man just throw it together, it will be fun for a while at least anyway.

yeah thats what I thought when I was younger.. but after 6 months of idling at 2000rpm like a tractor at the lights guzzling through the gas and shaking my carb out of tune got a bit tiresome. (and that was when petrol was 89c/L)

but yeah man just throw it together, it will be fun for a while at least anyway.

The race car idles almost dead smooth at about 950rpm. It coughs sometimes but does not have the rythmic rotary style idle that hard out camshafts from the 80s did.

Good idle (albiet at slightly higher RPM) on a moderate to extreme cam is completely achievable nowadays it seems.

You can run any cam with an unported head it just wont do fuck all good as the head have reduced flow at top end. Cams generally move the power band up and give you more revs, if you cant flow up there then the cam is pretty much useless.

The pinto ports are too big which is why porting them is more about shape than making the port bigger. However this is also why the standard head will respond to a lumpy cam with out being ported.

Don't get me wrong they really respond to the porting too :wink:

The race car idles almost dead smooth at about 950rpm. It coughs sometimes but does not have the rythmic rotary style idle that hard out camshafts from the 80s did.

Good idle (albiet at slightly higher RPM) on a moderate to extreme cam is completely achievable nowadays it seems.

yes but it's quite possible that we are talking about a cam from the 80's. If you look at the duration its quite long at 280. Modern cams tend to have more lift and less duration unlike those of old. Treggo is talking about a cheap 2nd hand big cam for a pinto not a new billet from Kelford.

He doesnt sound like he knows what the fuck it is! The head I had ported had no valve guides either, the valves were sloppy as fuck in it and I wouldnt recomend for a long time head. But I guess could be fine.

The cam is a little boy cam but none the less a decent grind for street use. The next on up is the one I am always raving about, the FR32.

The problem is that with out seeing and more importantly feeling it you don't know if the short side radius is done properly, that's where the most important gains are made with porting the 2L.

Concur.

Looks to me like it could well be a "Christ - let's make everything bigger" head - which could = crap airspeed (velocity) and therefore crap low/medium rev power.

Looks to me like it could well be a "Christ - let's make everything bigger" head - which could = crap airspeed (velocity) and therefore crap low/medium rev power.

I was thinking that too.... Looks like the 2nd head I ported in '93 before I'd got my hands on Vizards book :lol:

If you look at the questions the guy says he repolished the exhaust ports, looks like he used a stone from the marks. A doz says he ported it.

I'm keen to see what he gets as I might port a head or 2 to get some more funds for the capri.