Celeste Diff Ratio.

RWD4G62NZ

would have thought that it was either 3.9:1 or 4.2:1, i think thats what most of them are, but you seid it maxed out at 160, thats fairly low, mines bout 200-220 (not sure as speedo only goes to 180) but i can do 170- 180 at the end or 4th gear.There is a 4.6:1 (or somthing like that) that was in the GSR EX lancers etc and rally cars and stuff, maybe thats what it is.

Yea cheers.

It's gota be quite low cause at 100 clicks & 5th gear she's pulling 3500 revs which with a 6 grand rev ceiling(self imposed on Link) is well over half it's available rev range! Great for sprinting but not good for trips or cruizing economy eh! It's also got an EX Lancer 5 speed in it which may have had lower gear ratio's than the Moleste gearbox! Not sure eh???

Yea well that sounds like you may be on the money there cuz. When I got my LSD I got a spare 4.2 open spool diff head with it so it's probily the same as what I've got in the car now. Only issue is the crown and pinion in my LSD is a 2.9 so I've got to do a ratio change somewhere in there.

The car is making plenty of power to support a taller ratio so I was thinking maybe somewhere in the 3.7 ish range??? Do you know of any other mitsi makes that are interchangable or know of anyone with a spare 3.9 for sale???

i think all the ex lancers and sigmas etc are all 3.9 and the crown wheels are interchangable.Not 100% sure as ive never mucked around with any mitsi diffs b4, but they are commen as mud.Shouldnt be hard to get a 3.9 at all, theres also the l200 and the l300 which hav the same crowns as well and they have all sorts of ratios.I dont think you can use the pajero crowns as they are "10" bolt or some shit, fuck i dont know

Not 100% sure eh??? Think it came from the States actually. I got it off a dude in H Town who was gona use it in a Datsun 1200 coupe project but he ended up selling the datto to Rod Harvey who runs that Black RayGlass Sponsered Drag Car not long after he crashed his one. Spose he used it as a base for his new one. I got the housing, head, axels, brakes and a spare 4.2 open spool. The only thing tho is the housing has mounts for coil spring not leaf spring so I'd say going by that its not out of a Celeste.

You may know more??? How say you???

I presume it is. I was told that it is and the 4.2 open spool head fits the housing as does the 2.9LSD. I'm gona get it out of the shed next week and start looking at it so I'll take a couple of photo's and post them on this thread and you can tell me. Watch this space.

Right ho,

All you mad Mitsi freaks out there, cast ya eyes over these pics and try and ID what car you reckon this LSD is out of. The Diff head on the left is the 4.2 and the right is the LSD(Obviously) with the 2.9 ratio. They look pretty damn same/same too me except for the center!

ssl10520hc1.jpg

ssl10521wz3.jpg

This is the rest of the shit that I got with it but I dunno if it is all a matching set although the axel splines are correct for both Diff heads.

ssl10519ca1.jpg

They are both 8 bolt patterns too just for reference. Cheers for ya help.

What also totally weirded me out today was when I took that LSD head down to my local wreckers and we went fishing through his selection of Mitsi Diffs. We found a 1993 Libero rear Diff (Open Spool) and lined the 2 up together and they looked identical!!! The Libero one was a 3.4 ratio which would probibly suit my car nicely. Anyone had any experience with this???

Mitsi diffs are usually 3.545 or 3.909 for most post 80 cars, I don't think that Libero would be 3.4. Liberos do run a solid axle, pretty sure its the same as the Lancer Cyborg 4WD ones, the early models of them have a wacky diff ratio.

Fuck those axles are small.

2.whatever is real low, you'll want to runa 4 speed with it if you can.. (I dunno I aint a mitsi guy)

Also would be surprised if the libero diff isnt in the 4.??'s. Maybe auto ones tho, who knows. Even aold auto diffs dont usually go down to as low as that one you have. Thats V8 shit