home build roll cage

Mr dori

Aparently it is pretty hard to get roll cages certed..

Im not really much help.. Do know that they use special rollcage steel tho. Think it may even be called rollcage steel.

You going to use press bends for the hoop?

im geussing drift cars still dont need msnz approval?

to be honest, id still fork out and get a qualified place to do it, cos i think it wont be long before the drifters start to get pressured into more proper shit, like scruutineering and actual approved shit.

im geussing drift cars still dont need msnz approval?

to be honest, id still fork out and get a qualified place to do it, cos i think it wont be long before the drifters start to get pressured into more proper shit, like scruutineering and actual approved shit.

Drift cars need 6 point msnz approved cage for battle or team drift only. Eather roll-cage tubing steel 38.1mm/1.5inch's in diameter and 2.5 mm thick or the same in chromolly except it only needs to be 2mm thinck.

I'd say talk to niel fraser on 0800 4 certz

He should have some idea about what is required about certification and you know he will stick by it.

As far as I was aware you could get full cages certified but only if you had an interior cert, but you always hear different things from people regarding this sort of thing so its best to talk straight to the men who make it legal.

Oh really? Thats a pitty then.

I guess if it comes to the point of fitting a cage you have to weigh up exactly what you want the car for. Road or track/race. That will decide for you which cage you want.

I've talked to several people who say that half cages significanly increase the body rigidity and feel of the car. Thats with side intrusion bars fitted. It will also drasticly increase the safety of the vehicle on the track and off it. They can be put in by reputable places for around the $800 mark from what I can see.

well, basically just want a half cage/rollbar as i will be doing mainly open days and car will be for road use,

I can weld and have alot of gear to make one up, so i could knock up a 4 point cage for 2-300 i would think.

Really just want something to do and why pay someone to do it if you can?

dad made his own cage in his rally car, but that was back in the 80s. a half cage wont give much more rigity as they are only there for safety, unless you add in more diagonals. if your car is going to be used on the road then my understanding is it NEEDS to be homologated, and certed. this means you need to attend a minimum of 3 motorsport events per year, which keeps your motorsport authority card viable.

iv got a bunch of mates with drift cars but they are purely drift cars so they arent certed or anything. but this isnt the case if it is to be registerd for the road

pretty sure a half cage/rollbar is legal in a road registered car without a manz approved, when you get manz approved with a full cage you need to run log book etc...

im pretty sure a half car will stiffen the rear emnd up alot as it ties the suspension points together aswell is the two chassis rails

its all pretty relative realy. if the half cage is made purely as a roll bar (which is what they are often refered to) then the main perpose of it is for the bar to be strong incase of the car being rolled. but you can make it as stiff as you want with as many bars as you like, within the general layout of the conventional half cage format, so long as its kept a 4 point cage. thus meaning its up to the imagination as to how you want it built. but then you will start adding uneccessary weight. this is as far as i know of course.

when desiging a cage, go sit by ya car, and visulise the bars and load paths. imagine where the stress occour, and wear you shift them too with bars.

you have to be careful, remember the pictures of the GT40 and GT4 celica on a recent thread here? the GT4 had a full cage up to the firewall, transferred all stress from rear suspension forwards to the firewall, cage didnt go through the firewall. resulting in cracking to the point they almost didnt finish :shock:

get a copy of the MSNZ manual, and read the rules and look at the diagrams there.