polishing con rods ?

excort

Removing the casting marks reduces friction...slightly.

Not really worth it IMO but then cant really hurt.. doubt very much at all it will decrease stregth as your only removing casting marks.

I wouldn't touch them for the gains that you will get. If you get rid of the casting marks well on a couple and not so well on the other couple then it will put the engine slightly out of ballance wouldn't it?

I do it sometimes (lighten and polish) but I have the right gear and scales that go to 0.1 gram.

To lighten and balance a conrod you really need two scales so you can match the end weights. I have never actually end weighted a conrod - I pay someone else to do it.

Old Ford four cylinder conrods can have about 180grams removed from them safely (I think - it has been a while and I would need to refeer to my notes etc.)

The best option is to lighten them and then send them away to be balanced and shot peined. That is the strongest option for modified a factory rod.

I had a set made in Australia a few months ago (forged) - I don't have them with me to photograph but they are SEX!

The best option is to lighten them and then send them away to be balanced and shot peined. That is the strongest option for modified a factory rod.

I had a set made in Australia a few months ago (forged) - I don't have them with me to photograph but they are SEX!

Nice info mate. I have been searching for shot peining facilies lately. Where are the best places / any places?

Would you suggest just getting some forged lightweight ones made over the above method or does the gain vs price not work out?

The only reason to have any made would be if you could not find a rod with the dimensions you want. It isn't cheap.

IMHO one of the best places to send any balancing work is Collier Motor Engineers in Levin.

Colliers will lighten, stress relieve, balance and shot peen a rod for about $100-$125 each. They are also very good for crank balancing as they have a $75,000 balancer :shock:

EDIT - If you only wanted the shot peening I guess at $45 per rod.

Don't quote me as I only play with 40 year old Fords - but my understanding is that most Japanese rods are forged from factory (and most have steel cranks too).

Forged is much stronger than cast (old Cortina shit is cast) so I guess it would depend on what motor you are dealing with.

I only build (or more acurately pay others to build) old N/A engines so I really don't know much about the stresses and combustion chamber tempratures involved with turbo motors etc.

I only build (or more acurately pay others to build) old N/A engines so I really don't know much about the stresses and combustion chamber tempratures involved with turbo motors etc.

No, but high revving NA engines is your department :twisted::wink:

I don't know about the steel cranked, forged rod engined jappanese motors. I know a few of them do from the factory but certainly not the majority.

[

I don't know about the steel cranked, forged rod engined jappanese motors. I know a few of them do from the factory but certainly not the majority.

You are prolly right mate. It is a bit outside my knowledge area. A few of my fellow racers put Jap conrods in their engines and I am not aware of one ever failing.

The old cast Ford rods fail from time to time but it is seldom clear what failed first - the rod or the rod bolt.

I have a steel crank in my Mk1 Cortina - it cam out of a Datsun 1600 (L16). Even early Valiant V8s had steel cranks.

Does the engine you are using have problems with weak rods Brad?

A decent balance will reduce this problem if it is only a bit.. say they have known problems with rods at 7000RPM with 200hp.

Id guess they would be fine if the engine was balanced and the rods stress relieved. However go pushing 8000RPM and 220hp might break em. Not very clear what im trying to get accross but meh.

I think I know what point you are getting at, even if you don't :lol:

My engine red lines at 7250. With rod bolts it will go to 7750 safely. But I want more and this is all the standard crank, rods and pistons can handle.

I'm pretty sure the pistons will be fine above that and cranks can be expensive. I need to look at what type of stuff may fit I think because it uses a 86x86 as far as I'm aware which is the same as a Toyota 3s-ge so perhaps some bits can be shared? Probably not. I don't know too much about internals.

Just looking into it at this stage but I think will decent light rods and bolts I should be able to push it up above 8krpm.

^^ bugger. This was what tempted the move to dry sump I guess? :lol:

Maybe with the revs you want you should look into Vtec rods :lol: Fuck I touch myself. :lol:

Um yuh. Other rods may be the way to go. Im not sure as too how much shot peening does to rods but Im pretty sure a decent balance will do wonders. There will no doubt be some rods that can be used however even if they slightly change stroke :twisted: