steering noise

Ke36

ok guys gotta problem with the g/fs mazda astina

just a shitty 1600cc fwd

its suddenly developed a very bad steering noise, almost like a clunk

nosie happens as you rotate the wheel, not constantly there only at some points, happens when stationary and when moving, its not c.vs i no what they sound like etc and definately not them

i think iv managed to isolate it to the steering rack(that sound right?), can feel it sometimes through the floor/firewall and is at the point where the rack sits on the firewall as well

now is it likely to be completely stuffed, need new bushes or what?

am i better off just taking it straight to a suspension shop?

cheers guys

It could be that it's a loose wheel, a similar thing happened to a friend of mine, someone had tried to nick her wheels and must have been busted so a few of the nuts were loose, it didn't happen all the time just at a certain vibration point or at certain angles, tightened that shit up and wallah, sorted.

Also, could be the bearings, undo 'em and have a look, re-grease and reassemble with new bearings if necessary.

cheers for the replies guys

powersteering model

its definately not coming from the wheels

its some part of the steering system making the noise, and im pretty sure its coming from the steering rack where its mounted on the bottom of firewall,

if u turn the wheels till it makes the sound then rock the steeering wheel back and forward on that point it will keep making the noise so i assume its a certain point on the rack and pinion a bearing or bush or something?

im not familar with the inner workings of them, only had a quick look under there so havent had a good guess at how i would take it out etc

makes the noise even when the car is jacked up so has nothing to do with weight being on the wheels, wheels rotating etc

just to do with turning the steering wheel

so do i just take it out and buy a secondhand one or do i get it reconditioned or bushes replaced etc?