4G32 Hell!

Guest ryong963

Guest ryong963

Hey,

I've just done my head, rings, bearings, all seals possible, ground crank, belts, pumps etc. on my 4G32. and let it bed in etc. I changed my oil to magnatec (when looking back was almost as stupid as snapping 1 of my sump bolts) then I went and gave it a bit of gas down a back road. then it starts making this horrible clunking sound. I am certain it's not coming from the crank, but what it sounds like is a horribly set tappet amplified. Oil pressure was shocking after I put in magnatec so I thought it was just the oil pump not pumping the thin oil. so I put GTX castrol back in and it is still banging and has poor oil pressure.

Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yeah sounds like you didn't put oil or grease on all the bearings when you reassembled it - and didn't let it get oil pressure first before you fired it first time. I've seen it happen on a few mitsi engines, specifically a DASH 4G63 going into a Cordia - all the bearings just turned to powder pretty much.

Also you shouldn't have put Magnatec in straight away - as it is semi synthetic it needs to be run in on a mineral oil for at least 3,000kms.

Priming is basically filling the oil system with oil (oil oil pump, galleries, head, oil filter etc) so that when it does fire it has full lubrication.

When we rebuilt the 4G37 I used penrite engine and camshaft assembly grease on all the crankshaft journals/bearings and put quite a bit into the oil pump gears too. I filled up the oil filter as much as I could with oil and chucked it on, then when the engine was in the car I took the coil to dizzy lead off and cranked it until the oil pressure light went off. Then connected the lead and it fired first pop and ran great.

Whoops meant to write compression up there sorry. All fixed now.

There are a few ways to prime engine, id manually do it with large drill down dizzy shatf etc myself. There is a bit of info about it somewhere. Maybe in the engine running in thread.

Guest ryong963

hey,

thanks for all the help, id used molykote on all my big ends and mains, but it's the fcuk*n balance shaft bearings. they are so rooted that its torn all the teeth of the belt that drives it (sorry its a belt drive with 2 balance shafts) so still cant understand the shit house oil pressure, im just gonna put a new 1 on then thats everything possible doen to the motor.

Thanks again

Ryon

yeah, shagged balance shaft bearings etc will bring the oil pressure right down.Get rid of them.Can get a kit do it it proparly.The 4g32 actually came out with or without balance shafts depending on the trim level.

just when ya take them out you need t rotate the bearing caps to block off the oil gallary for the bearings.

I have a few parts of the kit that ya need if you want them.Also got the part numbers for the bits, sparkle can get them from jap.Been told its "impossible" to get the right frost plug thing, but ive got one :wink: