EFI LC's Gen 1 CRX

Bullitt

PMG-FI is just honda Fuel injection system. Its good in that you dont have a carby one but other than that dont mean much.

If you interested in a conversion Id suggest a ZC (1600cc DOHC non-vtec). Thats what the top model came with in that shape. That shape came with a gold top which are 120hp (from memory anyway, its somewhere around that). The later shape civic and crx si had a black top ZC which are 130hp.

Im not sure whether itd bolt straight in but theyre both D series motors so shouldnt be too difficult.

The next step above that would be a B16A from an SiR Civic or CRX. More power but also a more expensive and difficult conversion.

Dont bother with a 2.0 prelude motor. The B20A is an old motor, it would be as difficult as a B16A but not as good. Im not aware of anyone who has put a B20A in anything other than a prelude

Hey thanks for the info, I have done some searching but cant find enough about them, the reason is basically power to weight and to use it as a club racer/drag racer if I can get enough grunt out of an engine.

Changing a motor isn't an issue as from the sounds of it any honda 4 cyl will fit if you do enough engineering but if I was I would want 150-170bhp standard not the 135bhp of the zc. Also the B15A3 is a light motor and the others weigh more although I don't have exacts.

I don't want to turbo it at present and I'm not sure I can even do what I want thats why I need input from people like yourself.

This car has snappy performance and they are quoted as having 120mph top speed with a quarter time of 16.7 as standard but i want to improve on this by a couple of seconds.

No such motor as a B15A3...the smallest they came was B16. Plus ignore the 3 on the end thats a us spec one, nz and jap ones are just B16A or B18C etc

Sizewise a B16A will be similar to a ZC but engine mounts would definately need to be changed, plus computer stuff.

If you want that kinda power itll be more cost effective to go B series though, EF civic/CRX SiR and pre facelift DA Integra XSi/RSi have 160hp and eg civic/del sol SiR, facelift DA integra xsi/rsi, ek civic SiR (jdm hatch)/Si (jdm 4 door)/Vti-R (NZ new hatch) have a 170hp B16A. Im not to sure on what the engine differences are to get that. The other main difference is the 160hp engines come with a cable clutch while the 170hp ones have a hydro. As your car is curently cable it would be easier to use the earlier gearbox but hydro ones are more common and therefore cheaper so probably easier to convert the car.

Or if you want more power again you could go for a B18C out of a DC integra Si/SirG/VTiR. The Integra type R motor is also a B18C we didnt call them B18C5 like the US did. Same amount of engineering for a 16 or an 18 but the 1800 motor will be more expensive to buy.

Or the next step is a B20B out of a CRV or Orthia can have a B16A or B18C head on it to create a 2 lite vtec without too much work (not straight swap as you need new oil ways for vtec but its pretty close). A friend of mine had one of these that did 153kw atw still relatively stock (civic type r cams etc was about it).

Most of the webpages out there are all us based so not all the information is too correct over here. Theres alot of very knowledgable people over at nzhondas, more so than here when it comes to hondas

All these small honda engines are pretty great little motors and if theres one good thing about hondas, its the fact that information is easy to get hold of. There are so many possible conversions, but as you say you don't want to spend a large amount of money.

I think the B15A that you are refering to might be a D15A possibly? I know there was a D15 model vtec motor that came in the EG civics, but it was single cam and pretty average.

If you are trying to get power out of the engine on a tight budget you can really only do filter and exhaust, as the engine management won't aloow radical cam or compression adjustments.

If I were you I would look into sidedraft carbs (webers or even bike carbs) as these can be purchased for a small amount and will allow you to do pretty much anything with the motor, within reason. Then you can wack a crazy cam in there and up the compression to something silly and have a very different motor to all the other guys.

Ofcourse, you can benefit more from these mods if you change to a ZC engine to begin with, but from my experience you can still get relatively good returns from the single cam engines.

Mikuni you hit the nail on head, it appears I have the D15A motor which is the 12Valve SOHC Fuel Injected.

Jap import model with power rating 100PS or 98HP

I am a Honda noob but starting to learn.

I was offered a 1600 DOHC ZC motor today out of an Integra with just 80k on the clock for $100 but I think its gonna be more work for little gain, I may just mod this little beast a bit instead.

Hmmm, I will find out if I can still get the ZC then, it was going to the scrapyard and he wanted $100 for it if he was to take it out.

I passed the WOF with no problems apart from he suggested my rear belts are at the end of there life and said to just bolt the back seat down if I didn't need it so that will be done before the next check.

I tidied the wee thing up and now it owes me a grand total of $284 for a sweet running Honda CRX with 6 months rego :D

It allows me to take my Torana off the road for some updates and repairs as I have been using it as my daily transport.

i have to post on this thread of course. mint project, this will be a wicked club/track car done right.

on a budget, lose the efi system, get some good carbs and tune her up. drop all weight possible and balance the car out, and i think you will be very happy with the results

i went the other way, my 86 civic had the goldtop ZC stock, dyno'd at a stunning 62wkw (whats that 84 wheel horses?) stock, after tossing the idea about for almost 4 yrs, went ahead with boost - expensive but helluva fun result. 173kw at wheels and about 980kg=accel demon. more or less was a go kart with a roof and a grin-o-meter under right foot.

this is stock block zc no mods done to motor, lasted about 3yrs on boost until she got rearended, motor was still tight as. this is some quality engineering from honda!

i dont doubt the engineering of the d15 series blocks, many are SCCA proven in the states. heavy duty clutch, LIGHT flywheel, carbs, and stripped, for the win.

good luck to you!

a mate of mine has a zc powered crx rally car has 160hp at wheels with only mild mods [hi comp pistons,cams ,pod ,exhaust ,ecu.] its an ex dave strong car and is fuckin qik wieghs about 750kg stripped and caged also has a lsd diff. goes extremly well and is f#&*in fast on shingle[me just about shat pants] :lol: