falcon lsd

corrupt

so basically, ive just got the larger borg warner diff from a aussie 6cly cortina, and now on the lookout for a falcon lsd to bolt into it. what ratios are there and what would be the best for my 2L running a 5spd sierra, the ratio i have now is 3.75 which is standard. theres one on tm, its a 3.23, would that be suitable?? or anyone got a lsd diffhead for sale etc? any help appreciated, i think i read somewhere that any diffhead from xa-xd falcons will fit, this true?

I have a V8 XF fairmont borgwarner Lsd center in a Commodore housing in one of my Gemini's. I used the crown and pinion from a 2L berlina commy it is 4.1:1 there are almost endless ratios for them. I dont know if they are exactly the same housing center ect as the 6cyl cortina though.

you'll want a diff head out of a mid to late eighties falcon ute, they are all lsd, and so long as the utes a manual its usually between 3.2:1 - 3.5:1 sorta ratio, should be good for ur cruiser, and if u can get hold of an xf fairmont diff, it will be lsd, but a shit ratio But it should have disk brakes. I did get offered one for $150 complete disk to disk.

are u sure your aussie diff is a 3.75 ratio ive owned a couple of 4.1 cortys and most are 2.75ratio or 2.92 which is the same as most falcons xr-xf .utes are all 3.5 xcept v8s which are 2.92 or 3.25. also vl-vp commy heads are also same vn 2litre are 4.11 ratio vl 3lt are 3.45. nissan navara ute is also borg warner 78 series

are u sure your aussie diff is a 3.75 ratio ive owned a couple of 4.1 cortys and most are 2.75ratio or 2.92 which is the same as most falcons xr-xf .utes are all 3.5 xcept v8s which are 2.92 or 3.25. also vl-vp commy heads are also same vn 2litre are 4.11 ratio vl 3lt are 3.45. nissan navara ute is also borg warner 78 series

Good stuff Dave, someone sticky that shit.

nah, my standard 2L nz diff which is in the car atm is 3.75 ratio. im takin the diff out of a aussie cortina i just picked up which has all the 6cly running gear, i think im only looking for an lsd diff head from a xa-xd falcon with a ratio of 3.2? or higher??

was thinking maybe the head out of this one:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=65209263 ???

Thats actually quite pricey, I paid $50 for a complete XF front suspension, diff and an EA diff (both LSD). If you look around shouldn't be hard to find one in a bogans back yard for a box of piss.

Callum

but xa-xd parts are probably less common? theres heaps of xf diffs around but i dont think they fit.

• 3 weeks later...

that is because when they machine the new spline on the axle when it is shortened they machine thru the factory 'hardening' which is in the outermost layer of the metal. thus making the new axle actually weaker than the original one. some machinists cut the axle away from the spline and weld it together making a 'v' then filling with weld. BRE engineering here uses this method and garantee the axle wont break. the fact is ANY heating of thr metal will weaken it to a certain extent. the guy i work with is using BRE axles in his 10sec rx3 and he hasnt busted one yet. he has 300kw @wheels and dumps clutch at 9000rpm on slicks so they cant be that bad.

• 2 months later...