Car dies when brakes applied.

Gaz

Fixed/broke the cortina a bit more today.

It idles and shit fine but when you drive it every single time you put foot on clutch and brake at same time it dies? I dont see a link between the brakes and carb? it just drops to low revs and stalls. Have tried winding idle up but it needs to be too high to make it stop.

Any help?

Also anyone know what operation temp the 1600 kent engines thermos are?

Spam this I e-kill you

Wouldnt be a dodgy wire earthing somewhere?

Had a similar thing but it was when i put on indicators. Fuse blew, and car is wired with one fuse so it died. Probably not since you say it slows down in revs then dies.

i had a prob with my car once went i slowed down it would crap out and it finally crapped out after restarting it so often, i found out the battery was fucked wouldnt hold charge, check your battery terminal etc could be lose

Vacuum booster on brakes?

Check for vacuum leaks. If at idle you arent making much vacuum then when you apply brakes engine will lose what is left and die.

Oh yeah should have mentioned this.

its not vacum as it has no booster.

Oh ok - so it idles when parked? jsut dies under brakes? what about if you put it in neutral, (so coast along) and turn headlights on? Does it die then?

If it does its losing voltage to coil (somehow) and dropping spark.

Can a loose batery terminal really do this?

It does have one fucked terminal.

Anyone else think this would actually effect it?

well mine was a fucked battery, my battery wasnt keeping charge and it kept dieing wen i slowed down/stopped i kept restarting it trying to make it home but then battery was totally dead then i needed a tow, check if you battery keeping charge just a suggestion

Oh ok - so it idles when parked? jsut dies under brakes? what about if you put it in neutral, (so coast along) and turn headlights on? Does it die then?

If it does its losing voltage to coil (somehow) and dropping spark.

Nah sweet as when I do that, already checked.

Can a loose batery terminal really do this?

It does have one fucked terminal.

Anyone else think this would actually effect it?

well mine was a fucked battery, my battery wasnt keeping charge and it kept dieing wen i slowed down/stopped i kept restarting it trying to make it home but then battery was totally dead then i needed a tow, check if you battery keeping charge just a suggestion

Battery isnt in the best shape but its not that.

Im going to replace the terminals 2moro and see if thats better.

Also anyone know what operation temp the 1600 kent engines thermos are?

Opening commenses 85-89 and should be fully opened at 99-102 degress.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Was running at 100°c after a good thrash today.

Any loose wires floating around under the dash?

Are there any wires around the pedal box?

Somebody may have taken a feeder for a radio off the ignition directly at some stage and the wire shorting to ground.

Does the fault only occur when the car is moving or does it happen when the car is stationary as well. (is the problem related to the movement of the car deaccelerating, or is it the movement of the pedals the cause of the problem)

Remove the power feeder from the brake light switch....does the problem still occur.

If it doesnt occur, restore the power feeder and remove the stop light bulbs....does the problem occur?

If yes I'd be looking at a wire thats been frayed/welded etc.

If no, restore the brake bulbs one at a time and see when the problem occurs.

I've had a Narva bulb with an internal short...damn near killed the all the lighting switches and wiring in my RX7.

Whats the engine earth like?

Only when brakes applied when moving and its not just from slowing down, you can roll to a halt and its fine.

Engine earth is ok. Will check bulbs etc and all that electrical shit today.