help :( turbo related

Ned

Hey guys, i'm a n00b when it comes to turbo's etc but heres my story

i'm putting a 2T-B into my starlet for now, but want to actually re-build a 2T-G and turb it.

now, can anyone tell me what's needed to do this? i know that the 3t turb exhaust manifold will bolt onto the 2t block, so thats a good thing to know :D

any help=awesome

chur

you'll need oil feed and return lines as well. maybe a 3t-gteu sump will fit? if not the weld a return into yours. as for oil feed i think the 2t and 3t run the same blocks???? so prob just a factory oil feed.

i wouldnt bother with a 2t if it was me i'd go straight to a 3S :twisted:

there's quite a few RWD 3SGTE conversions floating around now, they're not the cheapest or the easiest conversion though from everything i've heard.

3TGTEU would be easiest, apparently there's an issue with an oil return line from the turbo and one of the engine mounts but this wouldn't be too hard to get around. they're getting to be a fairly old motor though and semi hard to find.

cheers

Matt

well, someone i know has got 5 of them :D so thats all gravy. i know that they are old, but surely the engine would be a minter after a re-build...

one other thing i forgot to mention is that i was also contemplating to not use the fuel injection setup, but go for twin sidies instead... or wold it be to hard to then turb the bugger...? :?

oh, and RT, surely i dont need money for any of this right? i thought it'd be free :rolleyes:

well if the engine's available and you've already got it set up for a 2T i'd say a 3TGTE would be a damn good option, especially with a rebuild.

you'd be crazy to go carby turbo though, carbs need to be modified to work under pressure (most carbs suck, this will have air forced in, Zep would know a lot more about this than i do) and you don't hear too many stories about people getting them running just right. when you've already got a factory setup that works perfectly it would take a lot of motivation to kick it to the curb and go to all that work. if you want it enough though it could be done.

Yems on Toyspeed would be someone good to talk to about the 3TGTE conversion, he's done one into his ke30, and slonlo (same forum) has also swapped one into his TA23

cheers

Matt

RX, i actually ment i know someone with 5 2TG's :P but no worries

so you guys all think i should go for the 3t then...

so callum, i should still make the mounts the same as for the 2T that you send me? makes it easier for now while i'm running the 2t anyways.

also, word on the street is that these things make ~180 or 170 hp standard, cant remember what they told me, is that about right?

do these engines come up for sale quite often? and what's a good price for them? there is one in the new T&E for $600 i believe, comes with ECU and loom. also says it comes with everything for a conversion... but not sure if that means it comes with a box... so i take it i cant use my T50, or would it suffice untill more work goes into it?

one more thing for you callum, i dont want to sound like a smart arse, but since my car is a rolling body right now, just waiting for the pannel beater and the painter, wouldnt it be just as easie to mod the tunnel now? save alot of re-painting and disasembling of the car? or is there no easy way of knowing how far to cut the tunnel until the box is in...?

cheers guys, your being a great help :D especially you callum, you've saved my arse quite a few times now! remind me to buy you a beer, or 10, next time your in auckland!!

i dont aucally know but i highly dout they make 180hp. i've owned one 3t-gteu those twin spark twin cam turbo ones and its the slowest turbo car i've ever owned. it was in a carina which is prob quite heavy but still only a two door car. (starlet prob weighs half :lol: )

and for 600 you should look for a rusted out or de-reg'd whole car so then you got all the little bits, fuel pump, clutch master cyclinder etc... maybe even brakes?