2.0 pinto tappets!

Stacov

Well after having my car on the road for a month now the one thing that annoys the hell out of me are the tappets

What i wanta know is what are the settings? has a lumpy cam.. is it 8 inlet and 10 outlet? also what rock does the cam need to be on to change the settings?

AND is it best to do it when its cold or hot?

cheers

8)

ho ho the ol tap taps..

Rock the cam to that the lobes create a V shape on top.. or more like, flat accross the top.

You use a feeler gauge and make sure you press down on the end of the rocker when you do so. Failure to do this will result in very noisy taps.

You need your cam spec sheet so you know what to set it at.

ie, mine is In. .008" and Ex .009

Normally these specs are shown hot. Unfortunately.. it ain't so easy to do hot. Well, it is... but not when you have a red hot turbo in the way like I do!! If not, then it wouldn't be hard to get the engine warm and then crack open the cam cover and do it hot.

I didn't have this luxury so I had to do mine cold,... like 3 or 4 times until I was happy with it. Going a little tighter to make up for the cold adjustment.

(Note, the pinto always has slightly noisey tappets, amplified with a bumpy cam. This is to do with the nature of the rocker assembly much like a Nissan SR20. Thats why these have noisy tappets as well.. abeit, more refined.)

Anyway, the hard thing to describe is the feeling of when the tappet space is correct. Press down the end of the rocker with your finger. Slide in the gauge and when it is correct it will bite at first, and then slide in freely. Minute adjustments will either make the gauge slide in too easily (no bite) which is too loose, or it will bite hard and not go in at all.

Good luck! Hopefully you don't have a fuckin turbo in the way like me! I had to get a couple of spanners bend into 90 angles so that I could adjust em. Can be fustrating. :x

hmmm you might have your work cut out for you if you don't know the cam specs. I would suggest trying to find some.. do you have any idea about your cam? valve lift, duration etc?

You could ring up a cam place and they could probably tell you.

dont know anything about the cam at all

all i know is its brand name is "camtec" cant find there website or anything

also have another cam from them in my other engine dont dont know the specs of that either all i know is the one in my car atm is more lumpier then my other camtec cam!! lol

yeah i might leave it for someone who knws what there doing. theres one place in palmy who specialize in fords etc.. "fortec performance" same people who are doing atropine zetec!

might get them to sort it out when i get my twin 45mm sideys and some head work done depending whats already been done to it..

thanks anyways RT ur lotsa help!

cheers

Guest WESTCORT

will be tough without knowing the specs of your cam... the xflow had a big difference in clearence when i put the lumpy cam in, ive got no idea how you would go about it without know cam specs :?

Hmm yea apparently the clearance is meant to be set slightly looser if you have a lumpy cam?

I just set mine at .008" inlet and .010" exhaust, seems to be fine. The cam is an FR21.. any idea on what the clearances should be for that RT? :?

The .008" and .010" are cold settings arent they.. hot settings would be slightly tighter?

the xflow is completely different.. it doesn't use tappets in the same way. I don't know what the settings are of different cams. It all depends on if you cam is a regrind or an off the shelf item. If it's a regrind then it would make sense for the clearance to be tighter as the cam diameter will be slightly less..

you need the spec sheet to know what you are doing.

008" inlet and .010" exhaust is the standard clearances I think.

• 2 weeks later...

well finally fixed my tappets after reading the haynes manual

cant hear them now, main problem i found was on one of the tappets was the lock nut wasnt even done up and that tappet was mega loose

ended up using 8 thou inlet *20mm* and 10 thou exhaust *25mm*

seems to have a nice smooth power range now and can rev it out abit more!

overall very happy :D

Can't hear them at all? really? you must have got it mint.

Good stuff. 8)

yeah was very happy how it turned out!

the cam must contact the rocker in the middle of the pad aswell or the two of them will wear away very fast, this must be checked with ground camshafts.

ok, yeah i think i got it all setup properly i just did everything the haynes manual told me took about a hour cause i rechecked everything about 3 times lol.

im lucky i havnt done my motor in as the first inlet rocker was so loose i dont understand how it stayed in place lol

i guess this shows pinto are pretty strong engines heh

• 4 weeks later...

hey is there a correct order to do tappets on the pinto ive only ever done tappets on a old austin 1300 so im abit confused and i dont want to stuf mine up cheers p.s some one stole my manual :(

12 exhaust

10 inlet

as one follower starts to rock, find the one that is right at the baseline of the cam profile and check its clearance...

i just read this on a website is there no correct order to do it in cheers