Mk2 Whining Noise

rednfast

Hiyas,

Just finished rebuilding the top end of my mk2 as the head gasket was faulty, put it all back together set valve clearances as per haynes, replaced absolutely everything that needed to be replaced (Gaskets, hoses), put in new points and gapped em.

Filled it up with coolant, started her up yesterday and it was all fine, ran it for 20 mins, turned it off for 15 mins or so, started it back up with no probs and ran it for a further 10 mins, then called it a night. But today when I went out and went to do the timing etc its making a bloody awful whining noise as soon as I started it.

To describe the type of sound...

Its a constant whine sounds almost like something is rubbing on the belt, but its not I checked that first. Only other thing Ive ever heard like it is when you have faulty plug leads and turn the stereo up and get that high pitched whine from the speakers.

But the sound is comming from the engine somewhere. Im a bit scared to leave it running too long incase its something serious, anyone have any ideas what it might be?

If the starter motor wasnt disengaging it would make more of a grinding noise wouldnt it? could be a vacuum leak somewhere, re-check the tightness of everything.. all the vacuum hoses and the intake manifold, probably just the gaskets seating after the initial start up and all..

Ok tried it again today, started up with a bit of effort. Once she was going there was no whining noise. Just a bit of rattling from the starter area so Im guessing that may be suss anyway.

Left it running for about 5 mins then the noise started up again, after listening again the noise only varys slightly with revs. The other thing I noticed was fumes comming out of the oil filler hole, not pouring out, but a constant flow of light white/blue fumes... so Im guessing the head gasket hasnt sealed properly or something is burning oil inside the engine.

Bloody annoying.

I can't see how it could be head gasket related.

- you get a squeel from slipping fan belts, but it usually is over a limited rev range, once you rev up it goes away.

- I once had the most auwful howl from a stuffed alternator bearing. At all revs.

- Waterpump bearing, different noise - same effect, at all revs.

Eliminated fan belt alternator and water pump by removing the fan belt completely and running the engine.

The noise is definately comming from the inlet side of the engine pretty much ruling out the starter.

Only things it could be on that side are...

Crank vent, but there isnt enough pressure in the crank case to make this kind of noise.

Inlet manifold/carb vacum leak, unlikely as I noticed when i turn off the engine the offending object spins down in time with it, a vacum leak would loose pressure as the engine went off and stop all together once the rpm dropped too low (right?).

Fuel Pump... Im thinking its this, going to investigate it further, anyone else had a similar problem with the pump?

Where can I find the vacum booster? Looked through the manuals I have and cant see any mention.

I had another look at this today. The fumes comming from the crank are back, seems cleaning the vent into the intake was only a temp fix. So it would appear something inside the engine is too tight and scraping or worn.

The presure when putting my hand over the oil filler hole doesnt seem eccessive.

I did reset the valve clearances when I put the rocker assembly back on as they were very loose before, I made them slightly loose to the specified feeler gaps. Would over tightning of the followers cause the sound/wear? I double checked all the gaps so Im sure its not that, but something to look at I guess.

Im still suspicious of the fuel pump, I did some tests by blocking one ear and using a tube moving around the engine bay and it really is loudest when pointing that the fuel pump. But its $130 for a new one so Im loath to pull it out only to find the noise is still there. But its looking like Im gonna have to go that way. :rolleyes:

if you put coolant in before the engine got hot, possibility it has letched on gasket before it has bedded in, neva put anti freeze in before engine has got up to temp at least once, but as you say the whine itself could be anything, neva heard a fuel pump whine thou, would blame alt/gen front bearing before i pulled fuel pump off, try running engine with belts off, will at least rule another thing out

Ran it with straight water when first started after rebuild. Tried pulling off the fan belt and the noise is still there.

Tried it again just before. Engine was dead cold. Started it and the noise was very quiet. Over a period of 3 minutes it got louder and then stabilized. It is very loud. You can hear it from the back of our house.

Once the noise is at full strength a light white/blue fume starts comming out of the oil dipstick and oil filler holes.

As I said before though there doesnt seem to be excessive pressure in the crank. Though my last car was a 4age which had quite high crank pressure standard so Im only comparing to that. So Im fairly sure the head gasket isnt leaking, would it even make that kind of noise if it was?

Its a really constant whine/squeal. I have found that if I rev the car to 3k rpm quickly and then pull my foot off the sound almost seems to stall/stutter 3 or 4 times then goes back to normal.