Mk2 Whining Noise

rednfast

Ok now Ive pulled off the rockers, retorqued the head nuts. Reset rocker clearance, tripple checked clearance. Changed the oil (was getting black), and oil filter.

Noise is still there but slightly quieter. Easier to pin point it now its quieter and its definately comming from the Fuel pump area. There is also a rattle/scrapping noise comming from the same area when its cold, once its warm the rattle is replaced with the whine/squeal. Still got the blue/white fumes wafting out.

Dont really have much time at the moment to sort this out, so may have to bite the bullet and take it to the mechanics, gonna grab a stethascope from SCA first and have another listen.

Hmm, could be the fuel pump.. I know if the diaphragm in the Pinto ones fail then petrol leaks into the crankcase.. Xflow ones have the little arm operated by the camshaft, so yea maybe the pump is stuffed and petrol is running down the arm onto the cam lobe and washing all the oil off? Dont know how that would make such a loud noise, but its something to think about I guess...

Pulled off the Inlet manifold, carb, crank vent, and fuel pump.

Cleaned the fuel filter and retightened the pump cover. Cleaned the crap out of the pump rocker mech and squirted in some WD40. Pulled out the valve in the crank vent and setup a hose to connect to a catch can at a later point. Blocked off the crank vent to inlet manifold pipe on the manifold.

Replaced the gasket between the carb/manifold with a much thicker self made gasket.

Put everything back together... the sound is gone!

No idea which thing fixed it unfortunately. The pump seemed ok apart from the dirty filter and all the sludge in the rocker joint. Crank vent is just an annoyance I felt like fixing at the time, though I guess the valve could have been faulty. Mani/Carb gasket was just too thin and was getting quite wet around the throats, so I guess there could have been a pressure leak here, nothing obvious though, mainly I just prefer my own gaskets as I can cut them exactly to the required sizes.

Thanks for all your help guys. :D